English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Chinese-born American shooter makes historic appearance at National Games
TIANJIN, Aug.30 (Xinhua) -- China-born American Jay Shi made history at the Chinese National Games here on Monday simply by starting the men's 50m pistol competition at the Tuanbo Lake Shooting Range.
http://www.xinhuanet.com//english/2017-08/30/c_136567298.htm
Are these two words synonymous?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Only the adjectival form is correct, IMO.

Compare British-born/Britain-born; Welsh-born/Wales-born; Danish-born/Denmark-born.

Only the first of each pair sound right to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I suppose it depends on whether that person has the nationality of the country they were born in. If someone, say, of American nationality happened to have a baby while in Britain, that child would be Britain-born but not British-born.

Having said that, I find "Britain-born" unnatural!

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
The problem is that "Chinese" is ambiguous. Does "Chinese-born" mean "born in China" or "ethnically Chinese"?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It would be odd indeed to describe a European born in China as Chinese-born.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Would he not have Chinese nationality as well as British?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not familiar with Chinese nationality laws but that's certainly not the case in every country.

In the past, it was true that a child born in the UK was automatically entitled to British citizenship. Unfortunately, that fact led to a problem with heavily pregnant women from some other parts of the world flying to the UK with the express intention of giving birth here. That would then lead, later, to the child's parents, grandparents and sometimes extended family applying for residency in the UK on the basis of that child being British. That loophole has been closed. Now, if a child is born in the UK, it is only entitled to British citizenship if at least one of its parents is also British or holds settled status in the UK.

That's why a child born here isn't necessarily "British-born".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Would he not have Chinese nationality as well as British?

The Chinese government do not grant citizenship easily and or allow dual citizenship. I don't think children of expatriates who are born in the country are granted citizenship.
I have a friend, a Chinese Malaysian, who has stayed in the country for decades and owns a factory there but has not been granted permanent residenceship.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Only the adjectival form is correct, IMO.

Compare British-born/Britain-born; Welsh-born/Wales-born; Danish-born/Denmark-born.

Only the first of each pair sound right to me.
Wales is not an independent country, so no one can have Welsh citizenship. Is my understanding correct?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You are correct that Welsh is not a nationality. That doesn't mean that someone can't describe themselves as Welsh and someone born in Wales might well describe themselves as "Welsh-born". It's just not a legal term.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hmm, I see their point but when you get into the legal terminology of it, it's not quite so clear cut. If you have to fill in your nationality on a form in the UK, you would have to put British (or whatever passport you hold), no matter how Welsh you feel.

The term is confusing because it has a different meaning in different countries. When I worked at an airport, I dealt with a lot of paperwork on which people had to fill in a box marked "Nationality". Most Brits knew to write "British" (although a few, who were probably simply trying to make a point, wrote "Scottish" or "Welsh" etc). However, when holders of US passports came to that box, they would fill in all sorts of things - Irish, Caucasian, Afro-American, Hispanic, and plenty of other things. They were, in effect, talking about their ancestry. For holders of American passports, that box could only contain two possible answers: USA or American.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I believe such forms (e.g. the ones at airports) should say "citizenship" and not "nationality". They incorrectly use those two words interchangeably.

The Welsh people even have their own language, as do the Scottish, Irish and Cornish people.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not disputing that Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are nations, nor that there are languages other than English that qualify as languages native to the UK. They are nations within the United Kingdom. However, as you can see HERE, British citizenship is just one type of British nationality. The umbrella term is "nationality". Had there been space, it might have been more helpful for that airport form to read "What passport(s) do you hold?" That would not be open to misinterpretation.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This is UK-specific, and doesn't apply to much of the rest of the world, though. We struggle to agree among ourselves what we are. ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about the Basque and Catalan nationalities in Spain?

The same thing applies, if you're discussing it in British English. You can't have a Basque or Catalan passport, therefore they don't fall under the legal term "nationality". Legally, they're Spanish (if, of course, they hold or are entitled to a Spanish passport).

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The Spanish constitution recognizes them as nationalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.