Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When would be a good time talk with/to you?

Which word should be used?

Thanks in advance.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi. You could read through this extensive list of discussions on that topic:
UsingEnglish.com ESL Forum - Search Results

As I understood from the discussions, ‘talk to’ has a sense of direct communication between person to person where as 'talk with' indicates an extended conversation, preferably involving more than two persons, as:

This is a serious matter and I can not keep quite. I will talk to John about it and try to resolve the issue.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Thursday he's willing to talk with the Taliban leaders in a bid to bring peace to the country

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
As I understood from the discussions, ‘talk to’ has a sense of direct communication between person to person where as 'talk with' indicates an extended conversation, preferably involving more than two persons, as:

This is a serious matter and I can not keep quite. I will talk to John about it and try to resolve the issue.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Thursday he's willing to talk with the Taliban leaders in a bid to bring peace to the country
Interesting. If that's what you have understood, perhaps we should discuss it again. It seems to me that everyone has a different opinion and, therefore, few of the commentators so far have the right answer. Perhaps there is no right answer.

'Talk with' was rarely, if ever, heard in Australia when I was young. Sometime during the 80s or 90s, someone came up with the idea (perhaps from America) that 'talk to' tended to imply 'talk at', ie. a one-way monologue, and the more inclusive, touchy-feely and politically correct 'talk with' was adopted by more progressive people.
My opinion, for what it is worth, is that they mean fundamentally the same thing and always have. If you talk with someone, you talk to them and vice versa.

The following conversation never occurs, except as a disapproving correction of A by B:
A: Will you talk to John?
B: Do you mean "with John"?
A: Sorry, yes.
It doesn't occur in other contexts because there's no other reason for B's response.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My opinion, for what it is worth, is that they mean fundamentally the same thing and always have. If you talk with someone, you talk to them and vice versa.

I agree, yet I feel there is a subtle difference. This is how I have understood.
When I say 'may I talk to you?', it means a one way conversation will take place.. me talking and you listening (mostly I talk and you listen).
but when I say 'may I talk with you?', it means there will be a sharing of opinions between me and you.

Reactions: vil

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
talk to: Information from Answers.com
talk to = reprove

"Talk to" can mean "reprove", but it usually doesn't.
This is an idiomatic meaning. You can say "I'll give him a good talking to." This is different from its literal, and far more common, meaning.

difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'

That's some further opinions from participants on another English forum, but they are no more authoritative than participants here - unless you are citing a specific person who you think, for some reason, has hit upon a real difference.

Regards,

V.
Look at these:
Michelle Obama talks with Mexican youths about community ...
Michelle Obama Talks to Major Food Companies About Obesity

Obama talks to Karzai http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100405181549AA0QO7I

Video results for obama talks with Karzai

Obama talks toHouse Republicans in Baltimore in rare, televised ...Obama talks to Chinese president by telephone

Amid Thaw, Obama Talks With Chinese Leader
Obama talks to Chinese president by telephone: White House | EMOIZ.COM

Hmm, I wonder if Obama actually talked to or with the Chinese president and Karzai? Of course, he did both, and I don't think it means he's reproving them.
Choose your own famous person and watch them talk to and with people simultaneously!
The truth is out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.