Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Sorry for disturbing again!!!
My doubts in English do not seem to disappear, but they grow everyday..Should I use the possessive case with animals or places? Would it be correct to use the construction ..of the (eg. The run of horses, the monuments of Florence)?.

Just one more question : Can you say a Milan football match, a Roma football match?

Many thanks! Is there any possibility to help English-speaking people with their Italian, as you do with our English?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.
Sorry for disturbing again!!!
My doubts in English do not seem to disappear, but they grow everyday..Should I use the possessive case with animals or places? Would it be correct to use the construction ..of the (eg. The run of horses, the monuments of Florence)?.

"Every day" is two words there. And you are not disturbing anybody.

"Of the" works for everything. We can even usually form true possessives for political divisions and animals, among other things. "Florence's Duomo can be seen from all over the valley." "The dog's breath stank."

Just one more question : Can you say a Milan football match, a Roma football match?

I wouldn't. I can't say why not, though. It's "Rome" in English, by the way.

Many thanks! Is there any possibility to help English-speaking people with their Italian, as you do with our English?

Yes. How do you say, "Time of death, midnight", like a doctor in an emergency room in a TV show?

Pencilcase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I am not a teacher.

"Time of death, midnight" would be "mezzanotte, l' ora della morte" in Italian, but it could help me if I knew the context.
What about the sentence "a Milan football match", how would you say?
Thanks for your help

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Yes. Take a look at this forum:

Italian-English - WordReference Forums

About the other question, I found this on the net, I am not sure if it is a correct English sentence:

The club can guarantee all of their fans that when they purchase tickets to an AC Milan football match they will have a great time.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Pencilcase: Just one more question : Can you say a Milan football match, a Roma football match?

Coolfootluke: I wouldn't. I can't say why not, though. It's "Rome" in English, by the way.

Me: Even if it's AS Roma the soccer club?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pencilcase: Just one more question : Can you say a Milan football match, a Roma football match?

Coolfootluke: I wouldn't. I can't say why not, though. It's "Rome" in English, by the way.

Me: Even if it's AS Roma the soccer club?
I am not a teacher, or all that smart sometimes.

Duh. Forget what I said. I will leave all matters of what the entire rest of the world calls "football" and I call "soccer" to the entire rest of the world.

Pencilcase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Yes. Take a look at this forum:

Italian-English - WordReference Forums

About the other question, I found this on the net, I am not sure if it is a correct English sentence:

The club can guarantee all of their fans that when they purchase tickets to an AC Milan football match they will have a great time.

Hi Khosro!
just another question about the possessive case, if you know..I know that it is usually used for people, but, sometimes you find sentences like the country of the two women, etc..would you correct such a sentence?Because I would..what do you think?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi Khosro!
just another question about the possessive case, if you know..I know that it is usually used for people, but, sometimes you find sentences like the country of the two women, etc..would you correct such a sentence?Because I would..what do you think?

Others might help you much better than me.

1- "the country of the two woman" is not a sentence pencilcase. If it was a sentence it would have a verb.

2- You can give us a complete sentence and then we can discuss it. In many cases, our choice of 's or "of" depends on the structure of the whole sentence. See:

"What happened over the next few days — while casting an extraordinary light on the values of the two women involved — suggests that even if ..."

As you see we can not put "involved" there if we phrase that part as "the two women's values".

3- We can suppose "the country of the two woman" to be a title, and it's correct. Adrian Canon Doyle wrote a crime story named "The adventure of the two women". Could he also name it as "The two women's adventure"? I think so. But in such cases we usually put "adventure" first because the story is all about the adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.