Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
A) The treatment that works for me permanently.

B) The treatment that permanently works for me.

Which on is right? Or both wrong

Thanks

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I prefer A.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
A) The treatment that works for me permanently.

B) The treatment that permanently works for me.

Which on is right? Or both wrong

Thanks
They're both weird. You can't say, "This treatment works permanently for me" because you can't see into the future.
If you had a treatment that is apparently permanent (eg. you had gangrene in your foot, and had your leg amputated), you wouldn't say that the amputation is still working. You'd say, "The treatment worked permanently for me" or more likely, simply "The treatment worked."

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
They're both weird. You can't say, "This treatment works permanently for me" because you can't see into the future.
If you had a treatment that is apparently permanent (eg. you had gangrene in your foot, and had your leg amputated), you wouldn't say that the amputation is still working. You'd say, "The treatment worked permanently for me" or more likely, simply "The treatment worked."

Actually I was trying to say after the treatment, the problem did not come back, for example if I have headache frequently, after eating this medicine, the headache did not come back, so the medicine worked permanetly and not only one time. (some medicine can only temporary cure the headache, so it is not permanent)

1 Is there a difference with "The treatment worked permanently for me" vs "The treatment permanently worked for me"
Which one is right

2 When someone reads the sentence "The treatment worked". Will the person think that the treatment is only working for once and the problem might come back, or will the person think that the treatment works and cured the problem permanently?

Thanks all.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Actually I was trying to say after the treatment, the problem did not come back, for example if I have headache frequently, after eating this medicine, the headache did not come back, so the medicine worked permanetly and not only one time. (some medicine can only temporary cure the headache, so it is not permanent)
I know. That was my point.

1 Is there a difference with "The treatment worked permanently for me" vs "The treatment permanently worked for me"
Which one is right
The first is better.
2 When someone reads the sentence "The treatment worked". Will the person think that the treatment is only working for once and the problem might come back, or will the person think that the treatment works and cured the problem permanently?
It depends on other factors.
Thanks all.
If someone says, "The treatment worked", the meaning will depend on what the treatment is supposed to have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.