I’d really like this apartment, but I can’t wait until next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulipflower

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] You have recently moved to a new city and are looking for an apartment to rent. You are looking at a place now. You like it a lot. The landlord explains that you seem like a good person for the apartment, but that there are a few more people who are interested. The landlord says that you will be called next week and told if you have the place. However, you need the landlord to tell you within the next three days.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I’d really like this apartment, but I can’t wait until next week. Is there any way you could let me know in the next 3 days?[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]b) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Oh, well, I really like this apartment, but I have to know a little sooner than that, if that’s possible…[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]c) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Could it be possible to find out a little earlier?

Would you please help me with the most natural option? Unfortunately, I can't decide between 'a' and 'b'.
[/FONT]

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Which option is more natural in this situation?

You have recently moved to a new city and are looking for an apartment to rent. You are looking at a place now. You like it a lot. The landlord explains that you seem like a good person for the apartment, but that there are a few more people who are interested. The landlord says that you will be called next week and told if you have the place. However, you need the landlord to tell you within the next three days.

a) I[STRIKE]’d[/STRIKE] really like this apartment, but I can’t wait until next week. Is there any way you could let me know in the next 3 days?:)
b) [STRIKE]Oh, well,[/STRIKE] I really like this apartment, but I have to know a little sooner than that, if that’s possible…:)
c) Could it be possible to find out a little earlier? :)

Would you please help me with the most natural option? Unfortunately, I can't decide between 'a' and 'b'.

See above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tulipflower, I have changed your thread title so that it contains some of the words you are asking us about. Titles should be specific and unique to the thread they are attached to.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Which option is more natural in this situation?

I prefer to use the present tense in that situation. "I really like this apartment" means I am here looking at this apartment and at this moment I really like it. "I'd really like the apartment" is of course correct but it sounds rather distant. I guess it comes to personal preferences and the student can certainly choose either.

Status
Not open for further replies.