Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
A new disease

Going out of the laboratory, the doctor said to Bob, his patient “I have a bad news and a good news for you. Which news do you want to listen/hear?” Bob replied “Good news is good for me”. “Your name is able to be given a new disease” The doctor said.

Please correct my mistakes.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A new disease

[STRIKE]Going out of[/STRIKE] As he left/As he was leaving the laboratory, the doctor said to his patient, Bob, [STRIKE]his patient[/STRIKE] “I have [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] bad news and [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] good news for you. Which [STRIKE]news[/STRIKE] do you want to [STRIKE]listen/[/STRIKE] hear first?” Bob replied “Good news is good for me”. The doctor said, “[STRIKE]Your name is able to be given to[/STRIKE] We're going to name a new disease after you. [STRIKE]the doctor said.[/STRIKE]

Please correct my mistakes.

See above.

It would be more natural for Bob to say simply "The good news [please]". Also, it's unusual for a patient to be in a laboratory. I would expect the conversation to take place in the doctor's consulting/consultation room.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is my rewrite.
After he left the laboratory, the doctor arrived at his consulting room where he met his patient, Bob. The doctor said to Bob “I have good news and bad new. Which do you want to hear first?” Bob replied “Good new please”. The doctor said “We are going to name a new disease after you”.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
“Which do you want to hear?”. When I consulted how to use “which”, I got the following structure. “Which + Noun+ auxiliary verb + Noun + verb?”
Could you please explain for me why I write “which news do you want to hear first” is wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is my rewrite.
After he left the laboratory, the doctor arrived at his consulting room where he met his patient, Bob. The doctor said to Bob “I have good news and bad news. Which do you want to hear first?” Bob replied “The good news please”. The doctor said “We are going to name a new disease after you”.

Note my corrections above.

“Which do you want to hear?” (no full stop here) When I [STRIKE]consulted[/STRIKE] was studying how to use “which”, I [STRIKE]got[/STRIKE] found the following structure: “Which + Noun+ auxiliary verb + Noun + verb?”
Could you please explain [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to me why [STRIKE]I write[/STRIKE] “Which news do you want to hear first?” is wrong?

Note my corrections above. Grammatically, "Which news do you want to hear first?" is fine. However, I was trying to make your dialogue more natural. Once the doctor has already used the word "news" twice in one sentence, he is unlikely to use it again in the next sentence. It's just not necessary.

I can offer you a beef burger or a veggie burger. Which would you like?
I test drove an MX5 and a Fiesta yesterday. I don't know which to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.