Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
School education should be free

A child should get education so as to increase the knowledge that develops social awareness, better decision making skills, competency in work thus making a better citizen. Today, most of the jobs require candidates who are qualified through education.

Every society in the world has citizens of different economic sector. Those who are from poor economic background may not be able to support education for their children and so they sent them for labour to support their lives. Today, governments globally have accepted the fact that child labour is wrong and it is the right of children to get educated. To solve these issues, government should provide free education thus supporting poor families and preventing the child labour.

In my opinion, the government firms are not efficient as the private firms. The private firms usually compete each other and focus on delivering highest quality possible to sustain their business in their competitive world. For these reasons, private firms deliver much better quality in their service than a government firm who are usually protected from the competition. Therefore, when we aim for best quality education in our society it is required that education should be privatized.

The government should provide free education to support poor families and meanwhile they should allow private firms to run educational institutions. The rich families who desire for high quality education can send their children to private firms. The government firms when compete with the private firms would result in delivering high quality in delivering their service.

Last edited:

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This essay is similar to task 2 writing in IELTS. I started to prepare for IELTS and thanks for your support.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi rock-onn,
You should read up on how to structure an essay.

Here's some useful info:

Essays are highly structured formal texts, and that is what the teacher/examiner expects from you. Structure is very important! Always plan out your essays before you start writing them.

In the introduction, you need:
- A general statement: This introduces the topic/issue to the reader.
- Background: 1 or 2 sentences to explain more about the issue.
- Your thesis/purpose statement: states your position regarding the essay question.

Then you need some general-to-specific body paragraphs, in which you persuade the reader to agree with your
position.

Each paragraph should deal with only one point/idea!
In each body paragraph you need:
- A topic sentence: This introduces the point you want to explain in the paragraph. It must relate to the essay topic too.
- Supporting sentences: These elaborate on and explain the point.
- Example sentences: These give specific examples to prove the point.

Finally, there's the conclusion.
- First sentence: This restates your position, and typically starts with "In conclusion,"
- One or two sentences summarizing the findings from your body paragraphs.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have read on tips to write an essay from 2 or 3 sources but nobody gave insights like you. Thanks a lot for valuable tips. Essay writing is not that easy. I will work on it.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I have read on tips to write an essay from 2 or 3 sources but nobody gave insights like you. Thanks a lot for valuable tips.
You're welcome.

Essay writing is not that easy.
My suggestions above may make essay writing seem more formidable than it actually is! I really think that such guidelines make the task at hand much easier because, with those guidelines, at least you know what you need to write!

I will work on it.
That's great. I look forward to seeing your improved essays.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
School education should be made free

Everyone would agree with me that school education is important for children to become a better citizen. Nowadays, to get a job education is mandatory and therefore it is the duty of government to make school education free. In this essay, I shall discuss on advantages and disadvantages of making school education free for its citizen by government.

In modern societies, the expenses to make daily life are becoming more expensive as the dependencies on science and technology is becoming a normal routine life. On the other hand, government levies high income taxes and other taxes on individuals making it worse. When government make school education completely free is a boon for majority of people who have moderate income. In Bangalore city, school fee on one child in private child is around 10 k to 20 k per month and average income of majority families is around 20 k per month. Therefore, majority families send their children to public schools.

The families from extremely poor family background especially in developing and under-developed nations sent their children for labor to support themselves. In modern societies, child labor is considered highly unethical and argues that it is the right of children to get educated. Government can prevent child labor and support child education through free school education. In my state, government give small salary to extreme poor families for sending their children to school besides free education with an aim to check child labor.

Making school education completely free may be impossible task for developing and under-developing nations since they don't have enough income to support such system. For example, imagine Indian government decides to support all private school teachers by giving salary to achieve free school education. It would cost trillions of US dollars to meet the expense to maintain such a program and hence it would not be a viable idea for Indian government. To meet such high expense the alternative is to increase tax which would have adverse effect on economy. Normally, governments have other mandatory expense like defense expense to meet. Government should allow private schools to run to meet the demands of the society.

The families from rich community demand high quality education for their children. Generally, private firms provide better quality of service or product than government firms. This is because the private firms are in competition and are compelled to excel in the quality in delivering their output and hence they do their best to sustain their business in their competitive world. If government force all private schools to shut down and make school education completely free through public schools then such system may not meet the demand of rich communities. Consequently, such families might migrate to better nations resulting in unfavorable economic conditions.

In my opinion, it is impossible for some nations to achieve complete free school education but public schools who offer free education is a big blessing to poor families. It is always better to allow private schools who deliver high quality education. Government spend huge amount to support public schools which help to prevent child labor.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Let's look at your essay, one section at a time. I'll start with the introduction.

Everyone would agree with me that school education is important for children to become a better citizen.
Nowadays, to get a job education is mandatory and therefore it is the duty of government to make school education free.

Those kinds of statements kill the whole essay right from the start! If everybody agrees, then what's the point of writing this essay? The first sentence in an essay needs to introduce the general topic to the reader; in your case, it's "education." You just need to write a general sentence about that. After that, you elaborate (go slightly deeper and give a little more background information on the topic at hand) with one or two sentences. You then need to introduce the issue (free education) with another sentence.

In this essay, I shall discuss on advantages and disadvantages of making school education free for its citizen by government.
In your thesis statement (describing the purpose of the essay), you also need to clearly indicate your stance on the issue. In this case, are you with/against free education?
Fix the introduction and post it again.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It is important for a child to receive school education that helps themselves to become a better citizen. The school education gives basic education on language, science, mathematics, social science that develops cognitive skills, decision making skills, social awareness, competency in work and in life. Nowadays, every job demand educational qualification that proves their ability and competence. Therefore, school education is so vital for children and it should be the responsibility of the government to make it free. In this essay, I shall discuss on advantages and disadvantages of making school education free for its citizen by the government. The government making a policy of free school education may not be practical for many reasons in many nations.
<Introduction only>

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I happened to read that passive voice should be avoided in an essay if possible and using more prepositional phrase in same sentence makes that sentence cumbersome. What do you say about it? I don't know whether these points are really relevant.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It is important for a child to receive school education [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] to help them [STRIKE]selves to become[/STRIKE] grow up to be a [STRIKE]better[/STRIKE] good citizen. [STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] School [STRIKE]education gives[/STRIKE] provides basic education [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in language, science, mathematics, and social science, and that develops children's cognitive skills, decision-making skills, social awareness, and various other competencies. [STRIKE]in work and in life.[/STRIKE] Moreover, nowadays [STRIKE]every[/STRIKE] most jobs demand a certain level of education, and many require specific qualifications in certain fields. [STRIKE]that proves their ability and competence.[/STRIKE] Therefore, school education is so vital for everybody. However, there is some debate about whether education should be free for everyone. [STRIKE]children and it should be the responsibility of the government to make it free.[/STRIKE] In this essay, I shall discuss on advantages and disadvantages of making school education free for [STRIKE]its citizen by the government. The government making a policy of free school education may not be practical for many reasons in many nations.[/STRIKE]
Note the statement of issue in blue.
What was the full prompt/question for your essay?

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It is my habit to browse a lot. I got this topic from some source but i forget and I thought it is easy to get some points for this essay. Next time, I will copy the full question. And thanks for expert level feedback.

I found that from your correction, four critical mistake i make. Applying tense correctly(i improved a lot), applying articles appropriately(still to improve), applying subject-verb agreement properly(still to improve), applying prepositions correctly(most difficult for me).

Other corrections are too advanced, i will try to figure it out.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It is important for a child to receive school education to help them grow up to be a good citizen. School provides basic education in language, science, mathematics, and social science, and that develops children’s cognitive skills, decision-making skills, social awareness, and various other competencies. Moreover, nowadays most jobs demand a certain level of education, and many require specific qualifications in certain fields. Therefore, school education is so vital for everybody. However, there is some debate about whether education should be free for everyone. In this essay, I shall discuss on advantages and disadvantages of making school education free.

Nowadays, the cost of living is higher as technology becomes an essential part of normal life. Secondly, government levies high income taxes on individuals making it worse. When government makes school education completely free then it is a boon for the majority of people who have moderate income. For instance, in America, the average school fee for one child in private child is around 10 k per annum and average income of middle class families is around 40 k per annum. Thus, majority families send their kids to public schools.

The families from the extremely poor family background especially in developing and underdeveloped nations sent their children for labor to support themselves. In modern societies, child labor is considered highly unethical and argues that it is the right of children to get educated. The Government can prevent child labor and support child education through free school education. For example, in my state, the government pays a small salary to extremely poor families for sending their children to school besides free education with an aim to check child labor.

Making school education completely free may be an impossible task for developing and under-developing nations since they don't have enough income to support such a system. For example, imagine Indian government decides to pay salary to all teachers of private school to achieve free school education. It would cost trillions of US dollars in their yearly budget to meet the expense to maintain such a program and hence it would not be a viable strategy for the Indian government. To meet such high expense the alternative they have is to increase tax which then would have adverse effect on economy and thus not a practical solution again. Normally, governments have other mandatory expense like defense expense to spend in their budget. For these reasons, government should allow private schools to run to meet the demands of the society and not spent too much on free education.

Moreover, the families from the rich community demand high quality education for their children. Generally, private firms provide better quality of service or product than government firms. This is because the private firms are in competition with each other and are compelled to do their best to sustain their business in their competitive world thus try to excel in the quality in delivering their output. If government force all private schools to shut down and make school education completely free through public schools, then such a system may not meet the demand of the rich communities. Consequently, such families might migrate to better nations resulting in an unfavorable economic conditions.

In conclusion, it is mandatory for a government to spend on free school education to prevent child labor and to support low income families but may be impossible for some nations to achieve complete free school education. The Government already spends a huge amount to support public schools within a fixed budget and it would be a heavy burden for the government to make school education free. Also, it is always better to allow private schools who deliver high quality education to meet the demands of the society.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is my habit to browse a lot. I got this topic from some source but I [STRIKE]forget[/STRIKE] have forgotten what it was. I thought it [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] would be easy to get some points (what do you mean by "points" here?) for this essay. Next time, I will copy the full question. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] Thanks for expert-level feedback.

I found, [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] from your corrections, that I had made four critical mistakes: [STRIKE]i make.[/STRIKE]
- Applying tenses correctly space required here (I improved a lot)
- Applying articles appropriately space required here (I still need to improve)
- Applying subject-verb agreement properly space required here (still to improve)
- [STRIKE]Applying[/STRIKE] Using prepositions correctly space required here (most difficult for me).

Your other corrections are too advanced. I will try to figure them out.

Note my corrections and query above. Remember to capitalise "I" every time you write it.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I meant arguments by the word, points. To built an essay I should have some good arguments.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I meant "arguments" by the word (no comma here) "points". To build an essay, I [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] need to have some good arguments.

OK, I understand what you meant now. However, I'm still slightly confused. Did you find the topic for your essay at the source you've forgotten, or did you find the arguments you wanted to use in an essay at that source?

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I got the essay topic from that webpage which I have forgotten. The contents of the essay I wrote from my knowledge I didn't read anything extra to write this essay, but the only thing that I searched in google was the statistics of America which I wrote as an example.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
School Education should be made free
Do you agree or disagree?

It is important for a child to receive school education to help them grow up to be a good citizen. School provides basic education that develops children’s cognitive skills, decision-making skills, social awareness, and various other competencies. Moreover, nowadays most jobs demand a certain level of education, and many require specific qualifications in certain fields. Therefore, school education is so vital for everybody. However, there is some debate about whether education should be free for everyone.

Making school education completely free may be an impossible task for developing and under-developing nations since they don't have enough income to support it. For example, imagine Indian government decides to pay salary to all private school teachers to achieve free school education then they have to spend trillions of US dollars in their yearly budget to meet the expense which may not be a viable strategy for them.

Moreover, the rich communities prefer private schools which offer better quality of education than public schools because the private firms compete each other. If government force all private schools to shut down and make school education completely free through public schools, then it would compromise the quality of the education. Consequently, rich families might migrate to better nations resulting in an unfavorable economic conditions.

In my opinion, a government should not spent too much on education to make it free for all. They already spend a huge amount to the support public schools within a fixed budget and it would be a heavy burden on them to make school education free.

Note :IELTS task 2 essay word limit:250 to 300 words.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Your second argument is flawed. Free public education does not preclude the existence of private schools.
Also, you should make your position clear from the start; write a statement of purpose at the end of the introduction.

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
School Education should be made free
Do you agree or disagree?

It is important for a child to receive school education to help them grow up to be a good citizen. School provides basic education that develops children’s cognitive skills, decision-making skills, social awareness, and various other competencies. Moreover, nowadays most jobs demand a certain level of education, and many require specific qualifications in certain fields. Therefore, school education is so vital for everybody. However, the government going for free school education may have negative impact on the economy of the nation.

Making school education completely free may be an impossible task for developing and under-developing nations since they don't have enough income to support it. For example, imagine Indian government decides to pay salary to all private school teachers to achieve free school education then they have to spend trillions of US dollars in their yearly budget to meet the expense which may not be a viable strategy for them.

By introducing this system, the government is in pressure to raise the fund. So, they are forced to introduce different varieties of indirect taxes. As a result, the public may suffer and lose the trust in the ruling party. Consequently, the ruling party may fail in the next government election. Therefore, the ruling party would be in pressure to gain the public support again.

In my opinion, a government spending huge percent of their income just on school education is impractical for most of the nations. They already spend a huge amount to the support public schools within a fixed budget and going for such system may result in unpredictable consequences both in political and economic terms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.