Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
'Funeral' is the burial ceremony, at the first day. The day after, we gather in a mosque to pray and read Quran for someone who has just passed away. What is this ceremony?
If it's for my friend's grandfather - like Ali's grandfather, can I call it 'Ali's grandfather's ceremony'?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the Christian church it's a memorial service. However, it's not held on the day after the funeral but some time later when a greater number of friends and relatives are able to attend and the mourners' initial grief has abated somewhat.

Memorial services are often (mutedly) joyous affairs, celebrating the life and achievements of the deceased rather than wallowing in the sorrow of his/her death.

Last edited:

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In the Christian church it's a memorial service. However, it's not held on the day after the funeral but some time later when a greater number of friends and relatives are able to attend and the mourners' initial grief has abated somewhat.

Memorial services are often (mutedly) joyous affairs, celebrating the life and achievements of the deceased rather than wallowing in the sorrow of his/her death.
I wanted to again like your edited comment Rover_KE, you know I believe after listening, speaking, reading, and writing, culture is the fifth skill.
Thanks,
ata

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Normally one has a "viewing" at a funeral home for 2 or 3 days. Then the funeral service and burial. We don't normally bury on the first day.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Normally one has a "viewing" at a funeral home for 2 or 3 days. Then the funeral service and burial. We don't normally bury on the first day.

In the UK, there is usually a wait of about two weeks before a cremation or burial slot is available. We waited three weeks to cremate my grandfather because the crematorium was fully booked.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Muslims come from hot countries, and dislike the ancient (local) traditions of the Zoroastrians, who place bodies high on large monuments shaped like plates for dogs or vultures to consume the earthly shell (the body).

So, Muslims are buried almost immediately (by Western standards).

Status
Not open for further replies.