English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
While I was watching this video I pooped to my trunks

Firstly, a better (although rather unpleasant) title for your thread would have been "pooped to my trunks". I'm not sure how many people would have opened your post though!

Anyway, on to your question. The phrase in BrE, would be "I pooed my pants" (note that "to" is not required). There are a few variations on the phrase but I'd rather not go into them.

I would like to note that this is not a nice phrase and I would avoid using it, if I were you.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
In AmE it would be "...in my trunks."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In AusE, it might be "I shat myself", but a polite expression would be "I pooed my pants".
Note that it's only polite if you really need to say it. For most people, it would be "too much information."

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
I prefer American and Canadian English... :up:
Americans & Candians doesn't use correct language, british does. That's why I prefer American and Canadian english. Besides, to understand is better Americans and Candians. I know not one people who still trying to understand British accent, but my friends can't cause it's too hard :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Americans & Candians do[STRIKE]es[/STRIKE]n't use correct language, [STRIKE]b[/STRIKE] British people do[STRIKE]es[/STRIKE].
That is simply not true. North Americans use different varieties of English from British English, but all the varieties are completely acceptable. Some British people use very informal language and/or slang, especially in speech, just as some North Americans do.

The standard British accent is no easier, or harder, to understand than standard North American accents. Of couse, if you have learnt one, the other(s) may take some getting used to.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
That is simply not true. North Americans use different varieties of English from British English, but all the varieties are completely acceptable. Some British people use very informal language and/or slang, especially in speech, just as some North Americans do.

The standard British accent is no easier, or harder, to understand than standard North American accents. Of couse, if you have learnt one, the other(s) may take some getting used to.

Me is american english is easier.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Me is american english is easier.
JustAlilBit, we know you can write better English than that, and you know that the the words I have underlined need to begin with capital letters.

For others reading this thread, I think the message is meant to be, "In my opinion, American English is easier".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Americans & Candians doesn't use correct language, british does. That's why I prefer American and Canadian english.
This is nonsense, as a generalisation. But let's pretend there's some truth in it - Americans have a lower standard of language, and don't speak it correctly.
The inference (and the big mistake) you seem to be making is that if Americans don't speak English well, and if you don't speak English well, you should be able to communicate fluently with each other.
I can only wish you good luck - you're going to need it. :-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Americans & Candians doesn't use correct language, british does. That's why I prefer American and Canadian english.

This is the part that confused me. You are a student of English, yet you prefer to learn the English which you say is spoken incorrectly (American and Canadian versions of English).

That makes no sense at all. Even if it were true (which it isn't), no self-respecting language student would specifically wish to study incorrect forms of a language.

I would like to think we're having our legs pulled but I fear we're not.

jahildebrandt

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That makes no sense at all. Even if it were true (which it isn't), no self-respecting language student would specifically wish to study incorrect forms of a language.
I would have to disagree with you there. Often, there are times when it would be beneficial to be well-versed in the "incorrect" (non-prescriptivist) usage of a language. As a native speaker of American English, I cannot begin to count how often the English I encounter on a daily basis is "incorrect." To a foreign speaker of the language, it can no doubt be bewildering to learn "proper" English, only to see it be grossly misused by native speakers.

I don't want no one to get confused by only learning perfect English. Sometimes it's beneficial to learn how native speakers "misuse" their language.

Good luck trying to talk to children with only formal English as well. Oh, and we can't forget about the misuse of language for humor.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would have to disagree with you there. Often, there are times when it would be beneficial to be well-versed in the "incorrect" (non-prescriptivist) usage of a language. As a native speaker of American English, I cannot begin to count how often the English I encounter on a daily basis is "incorrect." To a foreign speaker of the language, it can no doubt be bewildering to learn "proper" English, only to see it be grossly misused by native speakers.

I don't want no one to get confused by only learning perfect English. Sometimes it's beneficial to learn how native speakers "misuse" their language.

Good luck trying to talk to children with only formal English as well. Oh, and we can't forget about the misuse of language for humor.

I should have been clearer. I understand the desire of a language student to include non-standard usage in their studies (slang, kiddyspeak etc etc) - that makes perfect sense. However, it seemed to me that the OP, at a relatively early stage of their studies, is choosing to completely discount British English as the basis for his studies and to concentrate on American and Canadian English, specifically because "Americans and Canadians don't speak correct English. British people do".

It's not the decision to concentrate on AmE I take issue with, it's the reasoning behind it.

jahildebrandt

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I understand. I just wanted to point out the validity of nonstandard English.

Status
Not open for further replies.