South Korea
hello. I have a question
I watched a drama 'how i met your mother'
situation is christmas and they are seems happy
anyway,
cast said : "baby, do i smell your sinfully cinnamon cookies?" "yes"
I don't know 'sinfully' meaning
dictionary says guilty,creppy .. etc
I'm so confusing I think he means positive.
anyway thanks for reading I can't speak english very well..

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE] Hello. I have a question.
I watched a drama '[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE] How [STRIKE]i [/STRIKE] I met your mother'.
The situation is [STRIKE]c[/STRIKE] Christmas and they [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] seem[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] happy.
anyway,
cast said : "baby, do i smell your sinfully cinnamon cookies?" "yes"
I don't know 'sinfully' meaning
dictionary says guilty,creppy .. etc
I'm so confusing I think he means positive.
anyway thanks for reading I can't speak english very well..
I'll correct the rest of your post when I have time. In the meantime, could you let us know which dictionary defines 'sinfully' as 'guilty, creepy'? It's not one that I know.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're right - it's positive, but the dictionary's right too. They are cinnamon cookies, and they're delicious - hard to resist. This use of 'sinfully' isn't an idiom. It's chosen - probably by the person who named the cookie recipe - because of the alliterative jingle with 'cinnamon'.

b

PS after seeing 5jj's post - it's fairly approximate, but the use of 'guilty' to mean 'sinful' would work in a collocation like 'guilty secret' (which, as you know, is a secret of guilt, and not a secret that itself is guilty of something!) I assume jang gang knocked the '-ly' off before going to the dictionary and looking up 'sinful'.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gluttony is a sin. These cookies are so delicious that they lure you to the sin of gluttony.

But really, more broadly, there is sometimes a feeling that anything that feels truly wonderful must somehow be sinful. Eating a really rich, dark, chocolate cake can be so good you think eating it must be a sin. Such a cake (like Lily's cookies) is sinfully delicious.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
PS after seeing 5jj's post - it's fairly approximate, but the use of 'guilty' to mean 'sinful' would work in a collocation like 'guilty secret' (which, as you know, is a secret of guilt, and not a secret that itself is guilty of something!) I assume jang gang knocked the '-ly' off before going to the dictionary and looking up 'sinful'.
And 'creepy'?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And 'creepy'?
You've got me there. Perhaps the lexicographer is a high moralist and thinks that sinful people are creeps...:-? ;-?

b
PS Students: this is a lame attempt at a joke. 'Creepy' doesn't mean 'like a creep'. That sort of 'creep' is an informal way of saying that someone 'makes your flesh crawl' [=makes you feel uneasy], or more generally is just an insult. 'Am I going out with him?? What, that creep!?' (I tried making the object 'her', to avoid implications of bisexuality, but it didn't sound right. It seems :)-?) that a 'creep' is necessarily male.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It seems :)-?) that a 'creep' is necessarily male.)
That's an interesting point. I hadn't thoight of it before, but I think you are right. Both males and females can be 'creepy', but only a male can be 'a creep'. I think.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Just for the record, "How I Met Your Mother" is in no way a drama. It's a sitcom.

Status
Not open for further replies.