Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

Could you please tell me what the difference between ''tomorrow is going to be too hot everywhere and it is going to be too hot everywhere tomorrow is?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

Could you please tell me what the difference between ''tomorrow is going to be too hot everywhere and it is going to be too hot everywhere tomorrow is?

Thanks.

I can't see any difference. However, they are both rather unnatural things to say as I can't imagine any circumstances when tomorrow is going to be so hot everywhere in the world that it can be described as "too hot everywhere". Also, "too hot" is rather subjective.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let's forget 'too hot everywhere'.

I guess your question is about the position of 'tomorrow'.

It can go at the beginning or end of a sentence, without any significant difference in meaning.

'Tomorrow we will go swimming.'

'We will go swimming tomorrow.'

Rover

Mohammadhelmi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
yes, i agree with you.
The adverb Tomorrow, can go at the beginning or end of a sentence, with no difference in meaning.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I can't see any difference. However, they are both rather unnatural things to say as I can't imagine any circumstances when tomorrow is going to be so hot everywhere in the world that it can be described as "too hot everywhere". Also, "too hot" is rather subjective.

I can imagine a TV weather forecaster saying that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]y[/STRIKE]Yes, [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] I agree with you.
As an English teacher, you will appreciate the importance of correct capitalisation. Please help us set an example to learners. Thank you.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I don't think they would keep their job for long if they did.

In fact, at least in Spain, weather forecasters say things like that - with heat waves bringing temperatures well over 40ºC in some regions. So, when they are referring to those specific regions, they are likely to say "Tomorrow it's going to be too hot everywhere in Andalusia" (random example) followed by something like "so be sure to drink a lot of water and stay indoors between one and six pm, when it is the hottest".

charliedeut

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In fact, at least in Spain, weather forecasters say things like that - with heat waves bringing temperatures well over 40ºC in some regions. So, when they are referring to those specific regions, they are likely to say "Tomorrow it's going to be too hot everywhere in Andalusia" (random example) followed by something like "so be sure to drink a lot of water and stay indoors between one and six pm, when it is the hottest".

charliedeut

Saying "too hot everywhere in Andalucia" makes all the difference. As I said in my original reply, saying simply "it will be too hot everywhere" would be nonsense and that was my point about that particular sentence. It's still the case that "too hot" is somewhat subjective. I have friends still living in Madrid who are currently loving the mid-40s temperatures!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I have friends still living in Madrid who are currently loving the mid-40s temperatures!

That's probably because their inner thermostat is not working properly ;-). I like the summer better than the winter, but I find such temperatures hardly bearable.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's probably because their inner thermostat is not working properly ;-). I like the summer better than the winter, but I find such temperatures hardly bearable.

I think it's more to do with the fact that many of them are British and having a summer of any description is still a novelty for them, even it is ridiculously hot! The first August I spent there, when temperatures on the balcony of my flat hit 47 degrees was an experience. Yes, for me, it was too hot, but it was better than three months of British drizzle, cloud and misery! ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can imagine a TV weather forecaster saying that.

I would interpret that as meaning everywhere in the country or region being discussed and not the world.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have friends still living in Madrid who are currently loving the mid-40s temperatures!

I experienced 50 degrees and though my brain was going to boil. ;-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would interpret that as meaning everywhere in the country or region being discussed and not the world.

So would I.

Status
Not open for further replies.