Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi, I have a question.

The convention center's main auditorium has been ___ to provide an optimal view of the stage for all guests seated in the premises.This is a sentence from my book and can I put the word 'relocated' in this sentence? My book says no.
'Relocate' means move something(building, company) to a different location, right? But, I'm not sure if distance matters.
When you want to use 'relocate' word, does the destination have to be very far from the original place?

Thank you as always. :)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
The convention center's main auditorium has been ___ to provide an optimal view of the stage for all guests seated in the premises.

… "relocated" does mean "moved to a different place", and so, if the auditorium itself has not been moved then the term is incorrect. However, the stage itself may have been relocated inside the auditorium to provide better viewing. Otherwise the auditorium may have been "reorganized", "redesigned", "reconstructed","revamped", "altered", "adjusted", "transformed" etc.

not a teacher

AndyJung

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for your kind answer.

But, I'm little bit confused. So, can I put that word in the sentece so that it can mean 'the stage itself have been relocated inside the auditorium'?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for your kind answer.

But, I'm little bit confused. So, can I put that word in the sentence so that it can mean 'the stage itself has been relocated inside the auditorium'?

No you can't. "relocated" doesn't fit in that sentence.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So, can I put that word in the sentence so that it can mean 'the stage itself has been relocated inside the auditorium'?

As bhaisahab says, this won't work. For that to make sense, the stage would have to have originally been outside the auditorium, which would be a peculiar state of affairs. If it's the stage that has moved rather than the seating, perhaps "The stage in the convention center's main auditorium has been repositioned to provide an optimal view for all guests seated in the premises." would convey your meaning?

Another point is that, to my ear, "on the premises" sounds somehow better than "in the premises" but I can't pinpoint why. I'd appreciate anyone else's input on that!

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you want to use 'relocate' word, does the destination have to be very far from the original place?

[AmE - not a teacher]

IMO, it has to move far enough (or be disassociated with its formal location enough) so that another, more fitting word can't be used.

1: So, the main auditorium has been relocated?
2: Not really, they just knocked down a few walls to widen it.
1: Oh, so it was only remodeled.
2: Right, it would be pretty strange to “relocate” a room as big as an auditorium!

auditorium.jpg

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi, I have a question.

The convention center's main auditorium has been ___ to provide an optimal view of the stage for all guests seated in the premises.This is a sentence from my book and can I put the word 'relocated' in this sentence? My book says no.
'Relocate' means move something(building, company) to a different location, right? But, I'm not sure if distance matters.

Thank you as always. :)

The word you want is probably "ramped". The auditorium has been built so that the seats are on a slope, that is to say that the seats at the back are higher than those at the front. Like in a theatre or cinema.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The word you want is probably "ramped". The auditorium has been built so that the seats are on a slope, that is to say that the seats at the back are higher than those at the front. Like in a theatre or cinema.

If you're referring to seating in an entertainment context such as theatres, "raked" is more common than "ramped".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If you're referring to seating in an entertainment context such as theatres, "raked" is more common than "ramped".

Possibly.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Possibly.

I was a qualified theatrical stage manager and lighting designer before I did my CELTA, I'm pretty sure about this one ;) Certainly in Br Eng, at any rate.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I was a qualified theatrical stage manager and lighting designer before I did my CELTA, I'm pretty sure about this one ;) Certainly in Br Eng, at any rate.

OK. In that case the word the OP is looking for is probably "raked".

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
OK. In that case the word the OP is looking for is probably "raked".

It's an interesting word, actually, now that you've made me think about it! I wonder where it comes from, and if the adjectival use meaning "inclined" has any relation at all to the noun for a gardening/agricultural implement. Does anyone know?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's an interesting word, actually, now that you've made me think about it! I wonder where it comes from, and if the adjectival use meaning "inclined" has any relation at all to the noun for a gardening/agricultural implement. Does anyone know?

It seems that there might be a connection. Have a look at this link, particularly the bit about "heaped up".
Online Etymology Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.