Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Does my example sound natural and is it correct?

''I never do heavy weightlifting''.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not natural. It might be grammatical, but I'd say 'I never lift heavy weights'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you talking about the sort of weightlifting one does in a gym (and is an Olympic sport)? If so, you might want to use something other than your example and Rover's example. Yours isn't natural but Rover's could be taken to mean that, in everyday life, you try not to lift anything that happens to be heavy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is heavy is somewhat subjective. Also, if you say you don't lift heavy weights a person might logically conclude that you do lift weights--just not the heavy kind (whatever that is).

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Does my example sound natural and is it correct?

''I never do heavy weightlifting''.
"Weightlifting" as a compound word would be considered a physical exercise or sport. But your example with "heavy" would suggest that you are simply referring to daily activity, because all weightlifting (as a single/compound word and sport) is moderately heavy. If you intend it as a daily activity, it would be better understood to write "weight lifting" as two words.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Are you talking about the sort of weightlifting one does in a gym (and is an Olympic sport)? If so, you might want to use something other than your example and Rover's example. Yours isn't natural but Rover's could be taken to mean that, in everyday life, you try not to lift anything that happens to be heavy.
Yes, I am talking about sport. What would you suggest using?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"Weightlifting" as a compound word would be considered a physical exercise or sport. But your example with "heavy" would suggest that you are simply referring to daily activity, because all weightlifting (as a single/compound word and sport) is moderately heavy. If you intend it as a daily activity, it would be better understood to write "weight lifting" as two words.
So it should be ''I never do heavy weight lifting.'' Here I am not talking about sport.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
So it should be ''I never do heavy weight lifting.'' Here I am not talking about sport.

Weightlifting as a sport is one word. Weight lifting is general lifting of weight.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Weightlifting as a sport is one word. Weight lifting is general lifting of weight.

So in my example in which I am not talking about sport the word ''heavy'' is unnecessary, isn't it? ''I never do (heavy) weight lifting.''

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you are speaking in general terms you could say, for example:

My doctor told me not to lift anything heavy.

If you are talking about what you do in the gym you might say:

I don't lift weights.

Or:

I don't do any weightlifting.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're not talking about the sport, I would reword it as Tarheel did. I'd say "I don't lift anything heavy".

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So in my example in which I am not talking about sport the word ''heavy'' is unnecessary, isn't it? ''I never do (heavy) weight lifting.''

Well RA, that depends on whether the statement is verbal or written.
After re-reading several of the responses including mine, I think I should expand the subject or use of the subject. First, we should consider use of the term as verbal or written.
Verbal/Written
weightlifting (the sport or exercise) vs. weight lifting:(an occasional, unplanned activity) Use and interpretation based on context.

(A) I visit the gym 5 times a week.
(B) What do you do?
(A) Treadmill and weightlifting.
&
(A) Haven't seen you in the gym lately.
(B) Yeah, I broke my wrist and I can't do any weight lifting (or heavy weight lifting). (Any activity involving lifting).
OR
(B) .......and I can't do any weightlifting.(the exercise)

Status
Not open for further replies.