[Grammar] The usage of 'being' (behaving like)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebop7

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I found this example sentence using 'being' when I try to figure out the usage except indicating present progressive.

You can not expect them to sit still for that long, children being what they are.

My question is that 'being' in the sentence above have the same usage of 'behaving like' as this sentence, below?

At the Bataclan and at the cafes the Islamists killed young adults, out being European hedonists.

Another question is there is any nuance of meaning between these two. Thank you in advance.
I don't like you because you are a lazy person
I don't like you because you are being a lazy person.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
At the Bataclan and at the cafes the Islamists killed young adults, out being European hedonists.
The word "out" seems to be out of place to me.

1.I don't like you because you are a lazy person
2. I don't like you because you are being a lazy person.

1. It is made to appear like a statement which is true all the time, a fact.
2. "Being" implies something is true at that instant.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You can not expect them to sit still for that long, children being what they are.
I think it means '... because children are what they are'. The 'being' above does not refer to the present progressive.

I don't like you because you are being a lazy person.
I think 'being' refers to the moment when the sentence is being spoken, because the 'being' above refers to the present progressive.

Bebop7

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think 'being' refers to the moment when the sentence is being spoken, because the 'being' above refers to the present progressive.
The sentences are made up only to clear my confusion away. Because my intention was not to refer to the present progressive, I'm still confused. Can you bring more examples on 'being' which does not refer to the present progressive but imply the meaning 'behaving like'?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Being a learner, I often consult dictionaries.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Bebop:

I have found some information that may interest you.

"The teacher being absent, we had no school yesterday."

1. The words in bold are an example of an "absolute phrase." (When you have time, you may wish to check some books or the Web for more information on absolute phrases.)
2. It is a shorter way to write "Because the teacher was absent."
3. Sometimes, a speaker or writer will even leave out "being": "The teacher absent, we had no school yesterday."
4. I believe that your sentence would be equally fine with the absolute phrase at the beginning: "Children being what they are, you cannot [one word] expect them to sit still for that long."

Credit for points 1 - 2 goes to House and Harman in Descriptive English Grammar (copyright 1931 and 1950); credit for point 3 goes to Walter Kay Smart in English Review Grammar (1940). His example: "Dinner over, we assembled in the [living room]."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.