Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think this "naked eye" is a metaphor for "your own vision not disturbed by others". What do you think?

mo3-46
ex)The other day an acquaintance of mine, a sociable and charming man, told me he had found himself unexpectedly ‘alone’ in New York for an hour or two between appointments. He went to the Whitney Museum and spent the ‘empty’ time looking at things by himself. For him it proved to be a shock nearly as great as falling in love to discover that he could enjoy himself so much alone.

What had he been afraid of? I asked myself. That, suddenly alone, he would discover that he bored himself, or that there was, quite simply, no self there to meet? But having taken the first step into this new world, he is now about to begin a new adventure; he is about to be launched into his own inner space, space as immense, unexplored, and sometimes frightening as outer space to the astronaut. His every perception will come to him with a new freshness and, for a time, seem startlingly original. For anyone who can see things for himself with a naked eye becomes, for a moment or two, something of a genius. With another human being present vision becomes double vision, inevitably. We are busy wondering, what does my companion see or think of this, and what do I think of it? The original impact gets lost.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Naked eye" usually means without the aid of any lenses or anything that improves the vision. Like a telescope or binoculars, a zoom lens, etc.

I don't know why it's used in this text.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
"Naked eye" usually means without the aid of any lenses or anything that improves the vision. Like a telescope or binoculars, a zoom lens, etc.

I don't know why it's used in this text.

Hi,

My guess is that, since that person had spent little (if any) time by himself, he had grown used to seeing things the way those around/with him did. So I believe this might be a metaphor for "seeing things on his own, rather than following someone else's opinion".

Just my opinion, though.

charliedeut

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's an inappropriate use of the phrase, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.