Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
The problem that Israel faces is a price-control system that warrants constantly raising prices in line with the global wheat and fuel markets. One option the country has is to pump public funds into subsidies for bakeries to bring down the cost of bread. But government-subsidized bread is likely to be sub-standard since there is no incentive to the baker to produce a good product. This type of jerry-rigging is not a long-term solution.

Does "jerry-rigging" means short-lived or random?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The problem that Israel faces is a price-control system that warrants constantly raising prices in line with the global wheat and fuel markets. One option the country has is to pump public funds into subsidies for bakeries to bring down the cost of bread. But government-subsidized bread is likely to be sub-standard since there is no incentive to the baker to produce a good product. This type of jerry-rigging is not a long-term solution.

Does "jerry-rigging" means short-lived or random?

Hello, Odessa.:-D
"jerry-rigging" in your sentence is used as a noun (gerund).
I found "jerry-rigged" here: Jerry-rigged - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
I hope you can grasp the idea.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Jerry-rigging" is when you temporarily fix something, using what you have at hand versus what the proper repair might require. An example would be using a piece of wire or cloth to tie on a muffler that is falling off of your car.

It's not the real solution, but it does the job right now.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Jerry-rigging" is when you temporarily fix something, using what you have at hand versus what the proper repair might require. An example would be using a piece of wire or cloth to tie on a muffler that is falling off of your car.

It's not the real solution, but it does the job right now.
I haven't met it in Br Eng; it sounds to me like a conflation of two expressions with slightly different meanings: '[STRIKE]g[/STRIKE]G*erry-built' (which applies to temporary fixes, but also suggests bad workmanship), and 'jury-rigging' (what a sailing ship uses to get to the nearest port after it has been badly damageed after an accident or a storm - for example, the top half of the main-mast is broken off, so they use a smaller sail fixed to the top of the stump). Maybe it is used in Br Eng, but if so I haven't come across it. ;-)

b
PS * Corrected after seeing this.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought it was jury-rigged as well.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use "jury-rigging," but I think both are used interchangeably.

Status
Not open for further replies.