Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Hi!

Here you have my most recent doubt:

"My sister had finished brushing her teeth before she went out with her friends."

Have the tenses been properly used in the sentence above, or should we change their order by starting with the simple past and using the past perfect afterwards?

Many thanks!

Liz

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi!

Here you have my most recent doubt:

"My sister had finished brushing her teeth before she went out with her friends."

Have the tenses been properly used in the sentence above, or should we change their order by starting with the simple past and using the past perfect afterwards?

Many thanks!

Liz

It would be more natural to say "My sister brushed her teeth before she went out with her friends".

Lady Liz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
What if I say "He finished reading the novel before he had gone to the disco."? (This is an exercise from an English test!)

Thanks!!!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What if I say "He finished reading the novel before he had gone to the disco."? (This is an exercise from an English test!)

Thanks!!!

That's not a natural sentence.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks!!!

If one wishes to use the past perfect in that sentence, one would say, "He had finished reading the novel before he went to the disco." The past perfect is used for the earlier action. However, because the adverb "before" indicates that timing of the events, the past perfect is not needed.

mihallure

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
If one wishes to use the past perfect in that sentence, one would say, "He had finished reading the novel before he went to the disco." The past perfect is used for the earlier action. However, because the adverb "before" indicates that timing of the events, the past perfect is not needed.
All the grammar books that I've read suggested that in the above pattern Past Perfect should be used in the earlier action (as you said) followed by "before" + Past Tense. Should I understand now that this is not natural and should be avoided even in writing?
Thank you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All the grammar books that I've read suggested that in the above pattern Past Perfect should be used in the earlier action (as you said) followed by "before" + Past Tense. Should I understand now that this is not natural and should be avoided even in writing?
Thank you.

No, it is quite natural and is also correct. I am just saying that one can get away with the past tense in both uses because of the word "before". In an examination, I would use the past perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.