The word "should" with present tense in a complex sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaffar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Do we have the problem of verb inconsistency, if we use "should" with present tense in a complex sentence,

for example

Although she cleans her teeth, she should comb her hair too.

Please reply.

Last edited:

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I could not understand what you want to say. However, I would like to rewrite your sentence.

While she cleans her teeth, she should comb her hair too.

Do we have the problem of verb inconsistency, if we use "should" with present tense in a complex sentence,

for example

Although she cleans her teeth, she should comb her hair too.

Please reply.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

for example

Although she cleans her teeth, she should comb her hair too..
I do not see why you think there should be any inconsistency. Most modals can have a present-time meaning.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I could not understand what you want to say. However, I would like to rewrite your sentence.

Your sentence appears to mean that you think she should comb her hair and clean her teeth at the same time. It's the use of the word "while" that suggests that.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Your sentence appears to mean that you think she should comb her hair and clean her teeth at the same time. It's the use of the word "while" that suggests that.
It's a new trend called multitasking. It's essential in today's world. ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a new trend called multitasking. It's essential in today's world. ;-)

I'm a great multitasker but I've tried brushing my teeth and combing my hair at the same time. It's like trying to rub your stomach and pat your head - pretty much impossible!

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear Teacher,

I also thought about the same explanation before you answered. But I wrote this sentence keeping the usage of although and while. I have read somewhere that "although" gives surprise. "While" gives a mild concession.

If we use "although" in the underlined sentence, I find no surprise in other clause after comma.. While means - although on one hand the situation is true, other fact mentioned in the clause after comma cannot be ignored. That is why i use while instead of although

please guide me.

Last edited:

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
awaiting

Dear Teacher,

I also thought about the same explanation before you answered. But I wrote this sentence keeping the usage of although and while in mind. I have read somewhere that "although" gives surprise. "While" gives a mild concession.

If we use "although" in the underlined sentence, I find no surprise in other clause after comma.. While can mean also - although on one hand the situation is true, other fact mentioned in the clause after comma cannot be ignored. That is why i used while instead of although

please guide me.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear Teacher,

I also thought about the same explanation before you answered. But I wrote this sentence keeping the usage of although and while. I have read somewhere that "although" gives surprise. "While" gives a mild concession.

If we use "although" in the underlined sentence, I find no surprise in other clause after comma.. While means - although on one hand the situation is true, other fact mentioned in the clause after comma cannot be ignored. That is why i use while instead of although

please guide me.
No, the sentence doesn't sound good, no matter how grammatical it might be.
You could say, "While she cleans her teeth, she doesn't comb her hair" - meaning "Although she cleans her teeth, she doesn't comb her hair." This is still ambiguous, but not as bad as your original.

Note that the abiguity doesn't exist in speech, since 'while' is stressed when it means "at the same time as", whereas it is usually unstressed like a function word when it means "even though".
"While she cleans her teeth, she keeps the tap running." vs.
"While she cleans her teeth, she doesn't brush her hair."

urmilashahi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Nepal
Current Location
Australia
Although, I didn't had anything, I should go to office.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Although, I didn't had anything, I should go to office.
This is meaningless. What are you trying to say? And why?
Note i) there is no comma after "although" and ii) you can't say, "I didn't had ..."

A correct example would be: "Although I have no work to do, I should go to the office." This is non-ambiguous.
"While I have no work to do, I should go to the office." This is ambiguous.

You can't always use 'while' for 'although/though', or vice versa. But, as I said, in speech you can disambiguate by intonation and stress and prosody - all those things you don't have access to in writing.

Last edited:

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you very much for answering my query. I was under impression earlier that `although' creates surprise. But original sentence does not create any surprise. What is the meaning of although there.

Thanks again

No, the sentence doesn't sound good, no matter how grammatical it might be.
You could say, "While she cleans her teeth, she doesn't comb her hair" - meaning "Although she cleans her teeth, she doesn't comb her hair." This is still ambiguous, but not as bad as your original.

Note that the abiguity doesn't exist in speech, since 'while' is stressed when it means "at the same time as", whereas it is usually unstressed like a function word when it means "even though".
"While she cleans her teeth, she keeps the tap running." vs.
"While she cleans her teeth, she doesn't brush her hair."

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for answering my query. I was under impression earlier that `although' creates surprise. But original sentence does not create any surprise. Other example i would like to quote - Although it was not raining, ground was wet.

I would like to know what other functions does `although' do, if it does not create surprise.

Thanks again

In that example, "although" means "Even though" or "Despite the fact that..."

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If although means Even though or despite the fact that then it does not create any surprise, it creates contrast.

Suppose although creates surprise in the sentence, then what will be the meaning of although in terms of surprise.

Thank you very much to you also.

In that example, "although" means "Even though" or "Despite the fact that..."

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If although means Even though or despite the fact that then it does not create any surprise, it create contrast.

Suppose although create surprise in the sentence, then what will be the meaning of although in terms of surprise.

Thank you very much to you also.
I think you need to get over this idea that "although" indicates surprise. It doesn't.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sure, my motive is just to be correct, where i am wrong. I will go through in detail again about its usage and will come back to you, if i find any difficulty.

I think you need to get over this idea that "although" indicates surprise. It doesn't.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A contrast may come as a surprise, but the purpose of although is to indicate the contrast- any surprise is simply a reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.