Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
How common is the word failee in English? If not so common, how can I refer to students who have failed an exam?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How common is the word failee in English? If not so common, how can I refer to students who have failed an exam?

I have never heard the term before, nor can I find it in any online dictionary or in my Chambers Dictionary.

I would say you have to refer to them as "students who failed an exam"!

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
As far as I am concerned, to most people who are native or non-native speakers, the meaning of the word is understood even if it doesn't exist in English. So, I think it (deriving nouns by adding -ee) is one of those things that the teachers won't like. (I hope my last sentence didn't sound as controversial as it reads :-? )

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Beachboy,

My recommendation is that you do not use failee.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with Rover. Just because the meaning of a made-up word can be worked out from the context and from the use of a particular suffix or prefix, doesn't mean that it should be used.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far as I am concerned, to most people who are native or non-native speakers, the meaning of the word is understood even if it doesn't exist in English. So, I think it (deriving nouns by adding -ee) is one of those things that the teachers won't like. (I hope my last sentence didn't sound as controversial as it reads :-? )

No problem ;-)

English has for a long time borrowed words from French, ending '-ee', typically with a passive sense: an employee is employed. However, there were two exceptions to this passive sense, deriving from pseudo-reflexives: escapee (someone who s'est échappée) and refugee (someone who s'est refugiée - we are all feminine in the world of these borrowings!)

Having recognized this pattern, I assumed (wrongly) when I first heard 'retiree' that it meant 'someone who had been (involuntarily) retired'. But the pattern just doesn't fit what's happening in the language; 'retiree' was just the first (in my experience) of many new coinings in which this suffix just means 'someone doing something'. I had to come to terms with the word 'attendees' when I worked for an American-owned company; this word is now commonly used in UK industry; ('come to terms with' doesn't mean 'use' - there are always ways round a word that sticks in one's craw. ;-))

But I agree both that it's not advisable to use 'failee' and that - in the linguistic climate that accepts that <any-verb>+'ee' means doer - it will be widely understood.

As emsr2d2 said, you could say 'students who failed'. Or, as the heading of a list of students who failed, you could use any of the words 'Failures', 'failed', or 'fail/s'; that 's' might be contentious, but it would be perfectly clear if students in a class of 26, looking at a list on results day, said 'We got 1 Distinction, 2 Merits, 23 passes, and no fails' - a (countable) 'fail' (in my [possibly iconoclastic view ;-)] is a result of 'Fail'.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Afterthought: another of those pesky reflexives - only this time the French doesn't have an -ée anyway: 'absentee' -> someone who s'est absenti; but the vowel sound is closer - I wonder which came first, 'absentee' or employee'? I feel a trip to the OED coming on...

There is even the jocular analogue 'presentee' - someone who just puts his time in but isn't a productive worker; needless to say, this is an informal usage.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.