I have been observing him since I wasn't on resign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) I have been observing him since I hadn't resigned from this company.

2) I have been observing him since I didn't resign from this company.

3) I have been observing him since I wasn't on resign.

Please correct my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) I have been observing him since I hadn't resigned from this company. :cross:

2) I have been observing him since I didn't resign from this company. :tick: Grammatically correct but I don't understand it.

3) I have been observing him since I wasn't on resign. :cross:

Please correct my sentences.

I can't correct the sentences because I have no idea what you're trying to express. People don't use "the time that I didn't resign from a company" as a time marker. Please explain what you're trying to say in a different way.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you want the time marker before.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How does "I have been observing him before I didn't resign/hadn't resigned from the company" make any more sense?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How does "I have been observing him before I didn't resign/hadn't resigned from the company" make any more sense?

It doesn't, but I think Tufguy can express the idea he has in mind with a sentence that includes "before". :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Tufguy, are you using "since" in a temporal or a causal sense?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tufguy, are you using "since" in a temporal or a causal sense?

Could you please explain temporal and casual here? I think I used it in a temporal sense.

I have been been applying for government jobs before I resigned from this company.

Is it incorrect to use negative clause after since? Like we say "I have been feeling good since I met her" or "I haven't been able to sleep ever since I saw her".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's another one of those mysteries.
;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
since (temporal) = from the time that
since (causal) = because

I don't know what your sentence about government jobs has to do with the contents of post #1 but it's wrong.

I started applying for government jobs before I resigned from [name of company].

If you're using "since" in a temporal sense in post #1, I definitely don't understand what you mean. Please tell us, in different words, what you mean by the contents of your first post.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
since (temporal) = from the time that
since (causal) = because

I don't know what your sentence about government jobs has to do with the contents of post #1 but it's wrong.

I started applying for government jobs before I resigned from [name of company].

If you're using "since" in a temporal sense in post #1, I definitely don't understand what you mean. Please tell us, in different words, what you mean by the contents of your first post.

My team leader has been treating me in a harsh way since I resigned from AMX. Is it correct? I was trying to know whether a negative sentence can be written after "since" or not in these kinds of sentences?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What company do you and your team leader work for now?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My team leader has been treating me in a harsh way since I resigned from AMX. Is it correct? I was trying to know whether a negative sentence can be written after "since" or not in these kinds of sentences?

You resigned from that company, but you still have the same team leader? That seems very unlikely. What is more likely is that his harsh treatment of you was a reason that you resigned.

How are things going?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, I have a feeling you're talking about your former team leader. Have I guessed right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Another possible interpretation is that you have resigned (handed in your notice) but you have not yet left the company and that since you handed in your notice, your team leader has been treating you harshly.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Another possible interpretation is that you have resigned (handed in your notice) but you have not yet left the company and that since you handed in your notice, your team leader has been treating you harshly.

Yes, because right after resigning from a company you can't just walk away. You have to serve the notice period as well. I am not working at the moment (looking for a job) but he still works for the same company.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You resigned from that company, but you still have the same team leader? That seems very unlikely. What is more likely is that his harsh treatment of you was a reason that you resigned.

How are things going?

Not good. I feel like killing myself.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... after resigning from a company you can't just walk away. You have to serve the notice period as well.
Then instead of 'I was on resign', say 'I was serving my notice'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, because right after resigning from a company you can't just walk away. You have to serve the notice period as well. I am not working at the moment (looking for a job) but he still works for the same company.

OK, let's get this straight:
1. You used to work with this man (he was your team leader).
2. You handed in your notice but you had to work out your notice period.
3. While you were working out your notice period, he treated you harshly.
4. You have now finished working there so you no longer have anything to do with that man.

If I'm right with all of the above, you would have to say "My team leader at [name of company] treated me very badly after I handed in my notice". You can't use "has treated me" because you no longer work there.

Can you explain what all of this has to do with the content of post #1, in which you said you had been "observing" someone since you "didn't resign"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not good. I feel like killing myself.

Keep in mind that it's a temporary situation. Things will change. (They always do.)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
OK, let's get this straight:
1. You used to work with this man (he was your team leader).
2. You handed in your notice but you had to work out your notice period.
3. While you were working out your notice period, he treated you harshly.
4. You have now finished working there so you no longer have anything to do with that man.

If I'm right with all of the above, you would have to say "My team leader at [name of company] treated me very badly after I handed in my notice". You can't use "has treated me" because you no longer work there.

Can you explain what all of this has to do with the content of post #1, in which you said you had been "observing" someone since you "didn't resign"?

I had been observing my TL's behavior since I wasn't serving the notice period. Sorry to write my answer like this but nobody has answered my question whether negative clause can be used after since or not. If I have to say anything like this then what is the way to say it after "since"? Please correct my sentence "I had been observing my TL's behavior since I wasn't serving the notice period".

Status
Not open for further replies.