Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am writing to my friend, and I want to say: "I'm looking for a new job because my current job just isn't stretching enough. I have submitted three application forms so far but to no avail. I hope I get a big break soon." Is that okay to say?

Thank you :-D

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am writing to my friend, and I want to say: "I'm looking for a new job because my current job just isn't stretching enough. I have submitted three application forms so far but to no avail. I hope I get a big break soon." Is that okay to say?

Thank you :-D
Well...jobs don't stretch. Are you trying to say that the money you receive from your job isn't stretching?

Dominoes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a transitive verb. It need to stretch something. You need to say "it isn't stretching me enough."

Dominoes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's a transitive verb. It need to stretch something. You need to say "it isn't stretching me enough."

Oh, I see. Thank you.

Can I say "I'm now looking for a job that's more stretching."?

Or would I have to say "I'm now looking for a job that will stretch me more."?

Also, does the rest of what I wrote make sense?

Thanks for your time.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is normally a transitive verb. In my opinion, "This job isn't stretching" is acceptable in BrE. Whether 'stretching' is part of the progressive form of a verb used intransitively or a participle used adjectivallly is another question.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is normally a transitive verb. In my opinion, "This job isn't stretching" is acceptable in BrE. Whether 'stretching' is part of the progressive form of a verb used intransitively or a participle used adjectivallly is another question.

We don't use "stretching" like this in AmE, so I will defer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even as a BrE speaker, I find "This job isn't stretching" rather unnatural, though not incorrect. I would say "This job isn't stretching me". If I wanted to describe the job in a similar way, I might say it isn't "challenging".

Last edited:

Dominoes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It is normally a transitive verb.

When dictionaries state that certain verbs are "transitive", are they basically saying that that's the type of verb they are usually? Sometimes verbs are marked as both "transitive" and "intransitive". It seems as though labelling the verbs is pointless if a verb that is labelled as "transitive" can also be intransitive. Very confusing :(

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Even as a BrE speaker, I find "This job isn't stretching" very natural, though not incorrect.

Is there a don't missing there?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When dictionaries state that certain verbs are "transitive", are they basically saying that that's the type of verb they are usually? Sometimes verbs are marked as both "transitive" and "intransitive". It seems as though labelling the verbs is pointless if a verb that is labelled as "transitive" can also be intransitive. Very confusing :(
No dictionary can possibly cover every usage of every word. However, when a verb is labelled only 'transitive' in good dictionaries, then you can take it that it is rarely, if ever, used intransitively.

I happen to think that 'this job isn't stretching' is possible. Howver, as you have seen in this thread, SoothingDave feels it is not possible in AmE, and ems doesn't find it very natural in BrE.

Your safest course as a learner is to use the verb only transitively with this meaning.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not 'pointless', just 'open to question' - and the questions get more frequent as contexts get more complex (or should that be 'sureal' - there have been many discussions on this subject that have made me wonder what some of the participants were smoking ;-))

But I don't think just giving 'stretching' an object is enough; I think 'my job doesn't stretch me' would be more likely in the context of this sort of letter. 'My job isn't stretching me' is the sort of thing you say when someone says 'Why are you looking so glum?'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.