Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi all,

Please help me correct the following piece of writing for vocabulary and grammar. It is for practice purpose only.

Topic: There is a problem in the road outside your house.
Write a letter to your local councilor. In your letter:

• introduce yourself
  • explain what the problem is
  • tell the councilor what you would like to be done
======================

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing in regards to the delay of fixing a lamppost damage due to car accident which occurred on Feb 20.

My name is David and currently living in 26/7 Hayfield Road, Wellington which is near a junction with the City Road. I have been living here more than 10 years since I relocated from Auckland. I am really pleased living here since all our concerns have been solved after reporting just in a short period of time, except this time.

Last week, there was a car accident near where I am living. The accident caused a lamppost, which is just 10 meters from my house, collapsed. I reported this problem right after it happened on Feb-20, but nothing has been changed until now. The damage of the lamp not only causes inconvenience for my families due to the lack of light near my house, but also potentially leads to the risk of another car accident.

Please take the collapsed lamppost as a matter of urgency. I request you must arrange a workman to observe the problem and take appropriate action immediately in order to secure the safety for our community.

We are looking forward to hearing from rapid response.

Yours faithfully,

David Beckham

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
My name is David and currently living in 26/7 Hayfield Road, Wellington which is near a junction with the City Road. I have been living here more than 10 years since I relocated from Auckland. I am really pleased living here since all our concerns have been solved after reporting just in a short period of time, except this time.

That's mostly off topic. Focus on the heart of the matter and try to come up with convincing/compelling and relevant points about it. The more details/examples/explanation you provide, the better your letter will be. Revise your letter and post below.

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks for your comment. However, the topic requires to introduce a bit myself. So I need to fulfill the requirement.
That's mostly off topic. Focus on the heart of the matter and try to come up with convincing/compelling and relevant points about it. The more details/examples/explanation you provide, the better your letter will be. Revise your letter and post below.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, but the details in the introduction should be as relevant to the issue as possible. They're not looking for a personal intro.

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The people who work in these departments don't have time to read long letters. I recently reported a broken lamppost near my home. This is what the email said:

Good morning

The lamppost on the corner of Graham Street and Richmond Road is not working, and has not been working for over two weeks. I would be grateful if you would arrange for it to be repaired.

Thank you.

Jane Doe
276 Graham Street
Hightown
HT4 7UP

Your letter could be almost identical, perhaps solely with the addition of "after a car crashed into it four months ago" after "has not been working" (and without "for over two weeks").

dcintel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I agree with you if it were the real letter to council. I just try practicing writing based on the requirement. Please help me correct grammar and vocabulary

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing in regards to the delay [STRIKE] of [/STRIKE] in fixing a lamppost that was damaged due to a car accident which occurred on Feb 20.

[STRIKE]My name is David and[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]currently [/STRIKE] live at [STRIKE] ing in[/STRIKE] 26/7 Hayfield Road, Wellington which is near the junction with [STRIKE] the[/STRIKE] City Road. I have been living here for more than 10 years. [STRIKE]since I relocated from Auckland.[/STRIKE] I am [STRIKE]really pleased living here since[/STRIKE] generally satisfied with the council since [STRIKE]all our concerns[/STRIKE] any issue I have reported [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE] got resolved promptly, [STRIKE]after reporting just in a short period of time,[/STRIKE] except this time.

[STRIKE]Last week,[/STRIKE] However, four months ago, there was a car accident near where I am living. The accident caused a lamppost, which is just 10 meters from my house, to collapse. I reported this problem right after it happened on 20 Feb, but nothing has been done [STRIKE]changed[/STRIKE] about it yet. [STRIKE]until now.[/STRIKE] The damage [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to the lamppost not only causes inconvenience for [STRIKE]my families[/STRIKE] our family due to the lack of light near [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] our house, but also potentially leads to the risk of another car accident.

Please [STRIKE]take the collapsed lamppost[/STRIKE] treat this as a matter of urgency [STRIKE]. I request you must arrange a workman to observe the problem[/STRIKE] and take appropriate action immediately in order to [STRIKE]secure[/STRIKE] fix the lamppost and ensure the safety [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] of our community.

We are looking forward to [STRIKE]hearing from rapid[/STRIKE] your prompt response.

Yours faithfully,

David Beckham

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.