Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is it possible to say both I am at home and I am home (without a preposition)? What is the difference in meaning?

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
I'm not a teacher. I think this first sentence "I am at home" sounds pretty good and it's correct, but second one without a preposition is incorrect and I want to repeat that I'm not a teacher, but I think that "at" preposition shows us a "point" I hope you understood what I tried to express =)

sergeyrais

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm not a teacher. I think this first sentence "I am at home" sounds pretty good and it's correct, but second one without a preposition is incorrect and I want to repeat that I'm not a teacher, but I think that "at" preposition shows us a "point" I hope you understood what I tried to express =)

What about "I'll Be Home for Christmas" (the name of a Christmas song recorded in 1943 by Bing Crosby)?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What about "I'll Be Home for Christmas" (the name of a Christmas song recorded in 1943 by Bing Crosby)?

As far as I am aware it's common to drop the preposition in AmE.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

No, 'I'm home' is fine. Here's how I would use it:

I would only use "I'm home" when you actually arrive home, walk through the front door and shout "I'm home" to other people in the house whom you cannot see.
(http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=214399&p=1338113#post1338113)

There are many threads on this topic:

forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1591362
forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=214399
forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1204387

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is a slight difference in meaning and, as always, it can depend on context.

A: Where are you?
B: I'm at home. Where are you?
A: I'm still on the train. I'll be home in about 20 minutes.

With "I'm home" as an exclamation to other people in the house, you are not telling them your location ("I'm at home") - that would be pointless. You're shouting "I'm back" or "I've arrived" to let them know you are in the same house as them.

When I drive back to my house late at night from my mum's house, she always asks me to let her know that I got back safely, so when I arrive at my house, I text her "OK. I'm home. Chat soon." I wouldn't put "I'm at home". Again "I'm home" simply means "I've arrived".

Status
Not open for further replies.