Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Its now -- the votes are going to have been taken here shortly. And hopefully we can move on and work on other things that the country needs to have addressed."

Would this be a frequent use in contemporary English? Would there be regional preferences?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can't use the perfect infinitive if the votes haven't been taken yet.

'The votes are going to be taken here shortly.'

Rover

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
1)"If this is a situation where we are going to have been in water, how am I going to do it with her?"

2)"We don't think that it's even good for the country because we don't think they're going to get neither peace nor security from this, just -- and it's not, you know -- we don't think, in the end, it's going to have done any good for the country."

Is it typical of contemporary English to use "going to'' for "will" in such grammatical structures? Would there be any regional preferences?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I nearly joined in with this thread and then I realised it's the "going to" vs "will" argument again. I've learnt my lesson on that one!

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
So there wouldn't be any difference between "going to have been" and "will have been" or "going to have done" and "will have done in sentences 1) and 2) in post #3?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"We don't think that it's even good for the country because we don't think they're going to get [STRIKE]n[/STRIKE]either peace [STRIKE]n[/STRIKE]or security from this, just -- and it's not, you know -- we don't think, in the end, it's going to have done any good for the country."
Note my correction of neither and nor.
So there wouldn't be any difference between "going to have been" and "will have been" or "going to have done" and "will have done in sentences 1) and 2) in post #3?
There is the normal difference in meaning so often discussed in these forums. In this particular sentence, as sometimes happens, the difference is not particularly significant.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I got you. Thanks. But I pulled those sntences up from COCAE.

Status
Not open for further replies.