No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't use the definite article in the second.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi dear teachers.

"Priority is given to parents' decisions in a family."
"Parents' decisions are given the priority in a family."

[strike]Any wrong in my both[/strike] Are there any errors in [either of] my sentences above?

Please see my amendments to your question. I agree with Tdol's comments.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi dear teachers.

"Priority is given to parents' decisions in a family."
"Parents' decisions are given the priority in a family."

Any wrong in my both sentences above?

Your sentences are grammatical, but they make little sense to me. Who is giving these decisions priority -- the children? That pretty much goes without saying. "Priority" refers to one thing being more important than other things. For example:

In custody disputes involving an adopted child, priority is usually given to the birth parent or parents.
In the admissions process, priority is given to minority applicants.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes I admit that my sentences were not much better in meaning. There what I wanted to focus on is I have always seen the word "priority" is used like "priority is given to ......", at the beginning of a sentence and most of the time in a passive sentence but I wanted to know whether it can be used putting in the middle of a sentence (passive), for example "Minority applicants are given the priority in the admission process.". Considering all of your comments I think it can be used. Am I right?
Let me give you another example; "The employee is paid the salary at the end of each month." = "The salary is paid to the employee at the end of each month."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes I admit that my sentences were not much better in meaning. There what I wanted to focus on is I have always seen the word "priority" is used like "priority is given to ......", at the beginning of a sentence and most of the time in a passive sentence but I wanted to know whether it can be used putting in the middle of a sentence (passive), for example "Minority applicants are given the priority in the admission process.". Considering all of your comments I think it can be used. Am I right?
Let me give you another example; "The employee is paid the salary at the end of each month." = "The salary is paid to the employee at the end of each month."

Yes, but with minor revisions. In your first sentence, I would eliminate "the" before priority. We don't know if that category is the only priority given.

In your second sentence I would change "the" to "a" after "paid". In the third, I would change the first word to "a". It is likely that the salaries are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.