English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
English teacher

I’m going to do a new Learning Unit and teach my 12-year-old students how to use verbs and phrases expressing likes and dislikes, for instance “love, like, hate, can’t stand, don’t/doesn’t mind” etc. I’m aware the topic may be pretty difficult because “love, like and hate” can be followed by either the –ing form or the infinitive. I’d like to make things easier for my kids. Any suggestions from native speakers?
Thanks a lot.
WW

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
As I’m aware that my previous post was not clear enough, I’m going to give you some examples of what I meant.

(1) I’m not a sporty type. I like lying/to lie in bed and I love reading/to read comics.
(2) In my free time I like meeting/to meet friends, going/go to the cinema or the theatre. And I love dancing/to dance. I’m a very good dancer.
(3) My friend George is a very good student. He doesn’t mind doing homework. I’m quite different. I hate studying/to study.

My question is: are the –ing form and the infinitive virtually interchangeable without affecting the meaning of the sentences? If so, is it just a matter of personal style?
Thank you.
WW

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is often no real difference, in my opinion.. The to- infinitive may suggest the idea of choice.

I like lying in bed. - I enjoy lying in bed.
When I have a day off, I sometimes like to lie in bed. I sometimes choose to lie in bed. (?)

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you, 5jj.
Where did you move this thread?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Where did you move this thread?
I don't recall moving this thread. If it was moved, then it was moved to this forum, because that is where it is.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi, 5jj.
I’m aware that what I’m going to ask has nothing to do with this thread. If I’m breaking the rules you can choose to ignore it.
A couple of weeks ago I posted a simplified version of chapter 2 from “Oliver Twist”. I posted it in the “Editing & Writing Topics” Forum and got no reply. I was wondering: is the “Teaching English” Forum the right place to post the unanswered thread?
WW

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You posted your version in the right thread. Unfortunately, proofreading, editing and commenting on passages takes more time than answering questions in the 'Ask a Teacher' forum. As a result, some questions in the 'Editing and Writing Topics' go unanwered. Most of the people who respond in these forums have limited time.Transferring them to another thread will make no difference.

If I have time later, I will try to have a look at your version, but I must warn you that that sort of work is not my area of expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.