You two are liable to be on the news, yourselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wowenglish1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does "C" mean by " the next sentence"?
You two are liable to be on the news, yourselves!

A: By the way, last night on the news, they showed a beached whale being rolled back into the ocean.

B: What makes you think of that?
A: Beats me.
C: You two are liable to be on the news, yourselves!

view_submsg3.cgi

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The man lying down assumes (probably correctly) that the other two have been reminded about the story about the beached whale by the fact that he is rather fat and resembles a whale himself. I think his final sentence is a threat - he has understood their "joke" about his size and is threatening to hurt/kill them (or something) as a result. If that happens, they will probably be featured on the news as well.

I should point out that his threat is (I hope) meant as a joke! ;-)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The man lying down assumes (probably correctly) that the other two have been reminded about the story about the beached whale by the fact that he is rather fat and resembles a whale himself. I think his final sentence is a threat - he has understood their "joke" about his size and is threatening to hurt/kill them (or something) as a result. If that happens, they will probably be featured on the news as well.

I should point out that his threat is (I hope) meant as a joke! ;-)

While literally it could be taken as a threat, in AmE at least, the term liable is frequently used synonymously with "possible" i.e. as a possibility. (A) "Look at those dark clouds over there." (B) "Yeah, it's liable to rain any minute." (A) "That guy has been double parked for about an hour." (B) "I know. He's liable to get a ticket."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's still a threat, as far as I can see.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree: Man buries cheeky children up to their necks in the sand. Film at 11! (Not that he really would, of course.)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's still a threat, as far as I can see.

As I posted previously, I understand "liable" can be used as a threat, particularly in the context represented by the cartoon, but use of 'liable' simply as a possibility is also a possibility (no pun intended). Given one of the examples I used, i.e. (A) "That guy has been double parked for an hour."(B) "I know. He's liable to get a ticket." "B" doesn't know the "guy" (driver), so I don't see it as a threat or even a caution. He is simply stating his opinion to "A" about the possibility that the driver might get a ticket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.