Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Thanks in advance! This is a formal letter.

"I am very interested in attending the International Conference of Alternatives to Animal Experimentation and there are several reasons why. I am a master degree’s student of Evolutionary Developmental Biology. Therefore, there were several occasions in which I was given the opportunity to do animal experimentation.

However, I always have been interested in animal activism, including the ethics behind animal experimentation, and consequently I refused it on every occasion. I don’t think any kind of gain justifies the pain inflicted on a sentient living being and that includes scientific knowledge. Animal experimentation it’s a particular area of animal exploration that I am interested in mainly because it’s difficult to argue against.

Most of the people in general see animal exploration as essential to human welfare, which I think is not necessarily true. Therefore, I hope to learn about alternatives to this activity to help me improve my scientific knowledge on the subject.

As an animal activist, I participate often in manifestations and awareness initiatives, in which animal exploration is somehow involved. I am also one of the founders of a recently created group for animal rights, the University Students for the Animal Cause. As a group, we are trying to collect signatures from university students to put an end to animal experimentation for pedagogic goals on the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon. We hope that with these signatures we can put an end to this kind of activities. Although we can’t end with animal experimentation as a whole, we are optimistic that this small step can bring us closer to that objective. To increase the number of signatures collected, we also organized one talk presentation with Constança Carvalho, in which she talked about alternatives to animal experimentation for pedagogical purposes.

In view of all this written above, I am particularly interested in this congress not only to improve my personal knowledge in this area but also to maybe improve the work that we, University Students for Animal Cause, have been developing."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks in advance! This is a formal letter.

"I am very interested in attending the International Conference of Alternatives to Animal Experimentation and there are several reasons why. I am studying for a Masters degree[STRIKE]’s student[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in Evolutionary Developmental Biology. Therefore, there [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] have been several occasions [STRIKE]in which[/STRIKE] where I was given the opportunity to do animal experimentation.

However, I always have been interested in animal activism, including the ethics behind animal experimentation, and consequently I refused [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] to take part in those experiments on every occasion. I [STRIKE]don’t[/STRIKE] do not [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] believe that any kind of gain justifies the pain inflicted on a sentient living being, and that includes scientific knowledge. Animal experimentation [STRIKE]it’s[/STRIKE] is a particular area of animal exploration that I am interested in, mainly because [STRIKE]it’s[/STRIKE] it is difficult to argue against.

[STRIKE]Most of the people in general[/STRIKE]Most people (or "people in general") see animal [STRIKE]exploration[/STRIKE] experimentation as essential to human welfare [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] - I do not think this is [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] necessarily true. Therefore, I hope to learn about alternatives to this [STRIKE]activity[/STRIKE] experimentation to help me improve my scientific knowledge on the subject.

As an animal activist, I participate often in [STRIKE]manifestations[/STRIKE] demonstrations and awareness initiatives, in which animal [STRIKE]exploration[/STRIKE] experimentation is somehow involved. I am also one of the founders of a recently created group for animal rights, the University Students for the Animal Cause. As a group, we are trying to collect signatures from university students to put an end to animal experimentation for pedagogic goals [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] within the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon. We hope that with these signatures we can put an end to [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] these kinds of activities. Although we can’t end [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] animal experimentation [STRIKE]as a whole[/STRIKE] completely, we are optimistic that this small step can bring us closer to that objective. To increase the number of signatures collected, we also organized [STRIKE]one talk[/STRIKE] a presentation [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] by Constança Carvalho, in which she talked about alternatives to animal experimentation for pedagogical purposes.

In view of [STRIKE]all this written[/STRIKE] the above, I am particularly interested in this congress, not only to improve my personal knowledge in this area but also to [STRIKE]maybe[/STRIKE] perhaps improve the work [STRIKE]that we,[/STRIKE] of the University Students for Animal Cause.

See above for a few corrections. You used "animal exploration" twice. I wasn't sure if you meant "experimentation" or "exploitation". I changed it to "experimentation" both times as that made more sense. Note that we don't use "manifestations" in this way in English (this is a false friend in French, Spanish and Portuguese).

Note that I have also moved this piece to the Editing and Writing Topics section as it more appropriate there.

Status
Not open for further replies.