Using a comma before which

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 260,022
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Is there always a comma before which in a sentence such as - - . . . Scounted the possibilities at Countrywide Motor Sales which sells used sedans, station wagons and pickup trucks.

And . . . are restoring an old townhouse which will serve as a display shop for the . . .

I would just like to know the rule for which. Sometimes the grammer check on work says it calls for a semicolon.

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is there always a comma before which in a sentence such as - - . . . Scounted the possibilities at Countrywide Motor Sales[,] which sells used sedans, station wagons and pickup trucks.

And . . . are restoring an old townhouse which will serve as a display shop for the . . .

I would just like to know the rule for which. Sometimes the grammer check on work says it calls for a semicolon.

Thank you.
You use a comma before "which" in several places:
1. When the "which" clause refers to the whole preceding sentence:
"He punched me in the jaw and knocked me out, which I wasn't happy about.
2. Before a non-defining relative clause, as in your first example, and possibly the second. (I think the second example could go either way).

A defining relative "which" clause answers a "Which?" question.
"Which townhouse? The townhouse which will serve as a display shop"
A non-defining clause adds information, but does not define which townhouse you are referring to.
"We are building a townhouse, which will serve as a display shop."
"The orange tie which my wife bought me looks silly" (Answers "which tie?" from a sample of orange ties - the one which my wife bought me)
"The orange tie, which my wife bought me, looks silly." (Does not define which tie, but merely adds information.)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:
grammar checker at work

:)