Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What is the difference between theese two: breakfast, fry up?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A fry-up is a type of breakfast. Breakfast is simply the meal which we eat in the morning. A fry-up, in the UK, is a meal consisting usually of fried sausages, fried bacon, fried eggs, fried black pudding, baked beans, and fried black pudding. Although a fry-up is frequently eaten for breakfast, you can get a fry-up at any time of the day at many cafes and informal restaurants.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had no idea!
Not a term we use here.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In my family, in the 1950s, 'fry-up' was what many knew as bubble and sqeak.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had no idea!
Not a term we use here.

I had a feeling that would be the case. Would I be right in saying that there is no such thing as a "classic American cooked breakfast"? I've been to the States a few times and have seen and eaten various different breakfasts.

I'm not suggesting, by the way, that everyone in the UK has a fry-up for breakfast every day. A small proportion probably do but for most of us, it's an occasional treat (or a necessity after a night's drinking!)

There are lots of varieties on the fry-up these days. Many places do not offer black pudding/white pudding because the fact that it contains blood puts a lot of people off. Black pudding is much less common that it used to be. The original idea of the breakfast was that it could all be cooked in one big frying pan. Take one large frying pan with hot vegetable oil (originally it would have been lard), add 2 sausages, 4 rashers of bacon, 2 eggs, black pudding and a slice of bread. Because of the cooking method, a "real" fry-up wouldn't include baked beans.

These days there are of course vegetarian fry-up alternatives. These are easy to do now that there are so many "fake" (ie vegetarian) sausages and bacon products.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pancakes, eggs, bacon - probably as classic a cooked breakfast as you can get.
I don't like to have pancakes when I have eggs. I like fried potatoes with my eggs instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.