Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello, I would like to ask two questions,

1)Why in this sentence : (Stop doing that) we use that? how to know if we need to use that or to use this, like: Stop doing this!
What is the role here?

2)I saw somewhere the sentence: "You got mail" why its not "you got a mail" - because mail is a noun, no?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, I would like to ask two questions.

1) Why, in [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] the sentence "Stop doing that", do we use "that"? How [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can I know if [STRIKE]we[/STRIKE] I need to use "that" or to use " this", like "Stop doing this!"?
What is the role here?

2) Somewhere, I saw [STRIKE]somewhere[/STRIKE] the sentence "You got mail". Why [STRIKE]its[/STRIKE] is it not "You got a mail"? [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] Mail is a noun, [STRIKE]no[/STRIKE] isn't it?

Thanks. :)

Please note my corrections to your post above, in red.

1. "Stop doing that" is a standard phrase. It means "Stop doing the thing that you are doing". If someone said to me "Stop doing this", I would expect them to demonstrate the action they want me to stop.

2. "Mail" is a noun but it is generally accepted, in this phrase, to mean "an email" or "some emails". It is a collective noun. It does not need to take the article. "You got" is the equivalent simple past of "You received". Grammatically, it should be "You have got mail".

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Thank you, another question:
Regard to what you wrote to me,

2) Somewhere, I saw somewhere the sentence "You got mail". Why its is it not "You got a mail"? because Mail is a noun, no isn't it

How can I know if I need to begin with is before it or to begin with it before is, what is the role?

**The same question about "can", why not to use: How I can know,

In Hebrew the sentence is O.K:)
Feel free to correct me,
Thank you.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We use "is it" to begin a question; we use "it is" to begin a declarative sentence.

It is the same with "can". "Can I" is used in questions; "I can" is used in declarative sentences.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
And what about another sentences? if I want to distinguish between a declarative sentence and a sentence of question, what should I do?

E.X:
If I just landed in a foreign country and I want to know if my clock was synchronized to the country.

I stopped someone and asked : Excuse me, this is the time?(pointed over my cell-phone)
What should I ask: This is the time or is this the time? (In short, when do I need to change the sentence in order to create a sentence of question)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand. Why would you not ask the person what time it is?

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I don't understand. Why would you not ask the person what time it is?

I pointed to my phone(there is a clock there) and asked someone if that's was the time(as the clock of the country)

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

The proper form for a question would be, 'Is this the (correct) time?'

You could say, 'Excuse me, this is the time?' with an ascending interrogative tone of voice and be understood, but it isn't the way we form questions.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Thank you very much,

So in every sentence, do I need to change the order? if I want to do it Grammatically correct

Thank you

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Excuse me, Captain, but I have noticed that you used the word "role" at least twice in your posts.

Do you wish to say "rule"?

James

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
***** NOT A TEACHER *****
Excuse me, Captain, but I have noticed that you used the word "role" at least twice in your posts.

Do you wish to say "rule"?

James

Yes, sorry for the misspellings.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
So in every sentence, do I need to change the order? if I want to do it Grammatically correct

I am not a teacher.

You need to invert the word order when the verb is 'to be', which it is in your sentences about the time. e.g. 'Is this the time?' and not, 'This is the time?'

Questions can be formed in other ways too, and very often there is an auxilliary verb involved, notably 'do'. When that is the case there is no change in the word order.
e.g. 'You know what time it is' = statement. 'Do you know what time it is?' = question.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There actually is a change in the word order. In a declarative form of your sentence, it would be "You do know what time it is". In the interrogatory form, that is changed to "Do you know...".

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Please note my corrections to your post above, in red.

1. "Stop doing that" is a standard phrase. It means "Stop doing the thing that you are doing". If someone said to me "Stop doing this", I would expect them to demonstrate the action they want me to stop.

2. "Mail" is a noun but it is generally accepted, in this phrase, to mean "an email" or "some emails". It is a collective noun. It does not need to take the article. "You got" is the equivalent simple past of "You received". Grammatically, it should be "You have got mail".

Can you elaborate,please, about question 1? How do you except to see the demonstration?
When Condoleezza Rice said(I do not remember exactly when)"this week" without pointing or something like that, How can I know if she would need to use "this or that".

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"This week" has nothing to do with what we are discussing. She can't point to a week. "This week" means "the week which is currently in progress".

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
"This week" has nothing to do with what we are discussing. She can't point to a week. "This week" means "the week which is currently in progress".
Great, exactly because what you wrote I have the lack of understanding. So what should I do when I can't point physically?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Great, exactly because what you wrote I have the lack of understanding. So what should I do when I can't point physically?

You just don't. A week is an abstract thing. You can't point to it. In that sense it is the same as a day, a month, or a year.
:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As per my first answer, if you're not going to demonstrate, use the standard phrase "Stop doing that".

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
As per my first answer, if you're not going to demonstrate, use the standard phrase "Stop doing that".
And what about other sentences like "This week"(Similar phrases)?

Status
Not open for further replies.