Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi!guys.
I want to know is it proper in your culture for one to say that he/she is learning a foreign language in order to find a foreign boyfriend/girlfriend?
How to construct our English sentences in a good way?
For example.Which one is the best?
I learn English in order to find a foreign boyfriend.
My purpose of learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.
My purpose/intention in learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.
The intention of my learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.
I will be very greatful if someone can answer my question!:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say "foreign boyfriend" do you mean an English-speaking boyfriend?

"Grateful" is the proper spelling.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When you say "Is it proper in your culture ...", do you mean "Is it grammatically correct ..."?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That word order would be better but I still don't think "proper" is the appropriate word.

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes,this word is not very suitable .I will pay more attention to using the accurate words.Thank you!
That word order would be better but I still don't think "proper" is the appropriate word.

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When you say "Is it proper in your culture ...", do you mean "Is it grammatically correct ..."?

Yes ,I just want to know the differences between these four sentences.
"I learn English in order to find a foreign boyfriend.My purpose of learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.My purpose/intention in learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.The intention of my learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend."so,what is your opinion? Do you think they are same?

Last edited by a moderator:

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Should it be 'I want to know whether it is proper ...'?

Not a teacher.

Maybe.So,what your opinion?Do you think whether learning a foreign language is to find a foreign boyfriend/girlfriend or not? And the intention of someone learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.What do you think about this ?

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When you say "foreign boyfriend" do you mean an English-speaking boyfriend?

"Grateful" is the proper spelling.

Thank you for correcting my spelling mistake. I will be more careful. In my sentences , a foreign boyfriend is represents an English-speaking boyfriend. So ,what is your opinion? Someone'purpose of learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.Is it true or not?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you think whether learning a foreign language is to find a foreign boyfriend/girlfriend or not? And the intention of someone learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.
I don't know others' intentions, but I learn English just because I am interested in English language but not in English girls.
Your question has nothing to do with grammar and usage.

Not a teacher.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Here are some ways to express this idea.

I'm learning English so I can find a foreign boyfriend.
My purpose in learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.
I'm learning English with the intention of finding a foreign boyfriend.

There are others.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Judging from the OP's follow-up questions, I think she really means culture rather than grammar. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Not a teacher.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

@Matthew Wai.
I must admit that I too am not entirely sure what the OP wants, however I have taken note of this question in her first post.
How (can I) construct (my) English sentences in a good way?

I also note in her follow-up that when asked if she wants to know if her suggestions are "grammatically correct", she says "Yes".
I have therefore provided some sentences that more naturally express what she seems to want to say.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So ,what is your opinion? Someone'purpose of learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.Is it true or not?
It would be a grammar question if it were 'Is it correct or not'. But the OP asked 'Is it true or not', so I guessed it might be a cultural question.

Anyway, I may be wrong due to my poor English comprehension, as I am neither a teacher nor a native speaker.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I just want to know the differences between these four sentences.
"I learn English in order to find a foreign boyfriend. My purpose of learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend. My purpose/intention in learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend. The intention of my learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend." So, what is your opinion? Do you think they are same?

Maybe. So, what is your opinion? Do you think [strike]whether[/strike] that the purpose of learning a foreign language is to find a foreign boyfriend/girlfriend or not? And is the intention of someone learning English [strike]is[/strike] to find a foreign boyfriend? What do you think about this?

Thank you for correcting my spelling mistake. I will be more careful. In my sentences, a foreign boyfriend [strike]is represents[/strike] means an English-speaking boyfriend. So, what is your opinion? Is someone's purpose of learning English [strike]is[/strike] to find a foreign boyfriend. Is it true or not?

Please see my corrections to your posts. Please remember these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter and always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Also remember how to construct a question. You cannot just write a statement and put a question mark at the end. You need to invert the verb and subject.

I don't know anyone who has learnt a foreign language simply to find a boyfriend/girlfriend who speaks that language. I find the idea of learning English just to find an English-speaking partner rather shallow.

We don't know if it's "true". You would have to ask the person learning the language. The most natural way to say it is "I'm learning English because I want to get an English-speaking boyfriend/girlfriend".

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Helen:

That's what I thought. The problem with your sentences is that "foreign boyfriend" does not immediately connect with English. There are many foreign men who do not speak English.

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't know others' intentions, but I learn English just because I am interested in English language but not in English girls.
Your question has nothing to do with grammar and usage.

Not a teacher.

Yes!That's right.I have the same feeling with you.I learn English because I am interested in English too .And it can make me happyand make my life colourful. In addition,I will improve myself by practicing English more.You know,nowadays,a company always find a person who is good at English,speaking English very well, owning the perfect and exact pronounciation and intonation.

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Helen:

That's what I thought. The problem with your sentences is that "foreign boyfriend" does not immediately connect with English. There are many foreign men who do not speak English.

I may say you are right. I will correct my words.Foreign men can be anyone who use the different language and come form another country.

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Helen:

In some degrees, I am an traditional girl.I will not find a foreign boyfriend althought I can communicate with him very well.There're still some cultrue differences between us.This is a big gap.I can't span it.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Obviously, the OP is talking about culture rather than grammar.

Not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.