Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
American Samoa
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi, I can't grasp the meaning on whether I should use a comma before which in the sentence below:

I studied maths in university, which is when I also taught mechanical engineering.

If the above is a whole sentence, do I need a comma before which?

The clause looks essential but its at the end so it looks non-essential at the same time to me :(

indonesia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi, I can't grasp the meaning on whether I should use a comma before which in the sentence below:

I studied maths in university, which is when I also taught mechanical engineering.

If the above is a whole sentence, do I need a comma before which?

The clause looks essential but its at the end so it looks non-essential at the same time to me :(

I'm thinking non-essential, but lets wait for someone with more knowledge to confirm or deny. I was wondering if your sentence might read better if you changed 'when' for 'where'?

Ulysses

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
American Samoa
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hmm, well this sentence refers to a different time and also a different place than the present so I'm not sure if I should use 'when' or 'where':?: in addition to the commas.

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm thinking non-essential, but lets wait for someone with more knowledge to confirm or deny. I was wondering if your sentence might read better if you changed 'when' for 'where'?

What is your relative pronoun pointing at in this sentence? The pronoun "which" doesn't seem to have an antecedent.

Last edited:

Ulysses

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
American Samoa
Current Location
Hong Kong
What I'm trying to mean by 'which' is the time when I studied maths in university.

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
What I'm trying to mean by 'which' is the time when I studied maths in university.

Hmm...

I taught mechanical engineering while I studied math at a university.
I studied math at a university while I taught mechanical engineering.
While I studied math at a university, I also taught mechanical engineering.

Last edited:

indonesia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Indonesia
What is your relative pronoun pointing at in this sentence? The pronoun "which" doesn't seem to have an antecedent.

I see, thanks.

I thought the intended meaning of the sentence was to tell which university he had studied maths at, so I assumed the relative pronoun was refering to the 'university' and that's why I asked if using 'where' may have been a better choice.
I think I picked up the wrong end of the stick. :oops:

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
I see, thanks.

I thought the intended meaning of the sentence was to tell which university he had studied maths at, so I assumed the relative pronoun was refering to the 'university' and that's why I asked if using 'where' may have been a better choice.
I think I picked up the wrong end of the stick. :oops:

Giving more information about his school and his teaching position would make the sentence much less sparse. Which university did he attend? Where did he teach mechanical engineering? A few more details about his background could breathe life into that sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.