Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
When you say "give away a baby", is it "abandon" or "give birth to"? In this drama, the birth mother had the baby adopted right after the birth. It's confusing.

-ghost whisperer
[FONT=&#44404]Jim- Shouldn't you call her first?
Mel- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]I have to tell a woman the baby she gave away 18 years ago [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]wants to meet her. Then i have to tell her that he's dead.[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] Not the kind of conversation i want to have over the phone[/FONT]

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
When you say "give away a baby", is it "abandon" or "give birth to"? In this drama, the birth mother had the baby adopted right after the birth. It's confusing.

-ghost whisperer
[FONT=&#44404]Jim- Shouldn't you call her first?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Mel- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]I have to tell a woman the baby she gave away 18 years ago [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]wants to meet her. Then i have to tell her that he's dead.[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] Not the kind of conversation i want to have over the phone[/FONT]

NOT A TEACHER.

"Give away" means " get rid of" here.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would read it as "put up for adoption," not to abandon.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
NOT A TEACHER.

"Give away" means " get rid of" here.
That's a rather harsh judgment. It almost sounds as if she had thrown it out in the trash. People surrender babies for adoption for many different reasons, some of which are in the best interests of the child.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
That's a rather harsh judgment. It almost sounds as if she had thrown it out in the trash. People surrender babies for adoption for many different reasons, some of which are in the best interests of the child.

Yes, but they're still physically getting rid of the baby. I agree that "get rid of" sounds harsh, but the threadstarter didn't provide enough context for me to say why the woman gave the baby away, and I wanted to make it clear that "gave away" did not mean "gave birth to."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can also say "adopt out" for "put up for adoption".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes, but they're still physically getting rid of the baby. I agree that "get rid of" sounds harsh, but the threadstarter didn't provide enough context for me to say why the woman gave the baby away, and I wanted to make it clear that "gave away" did not mean "gave birth to."

Context: The birth mother was a teenager when she gave birth to the baby, and she was a juvenile delinquent, a trouble-maker, and it must have been an unwanted pregnancy. After the delivery, she gave away the baby, and got sent to juvie upstate.

Now, can you define more clearly?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She gave the baby up for adoption.