Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If we use past tenses to write a diary, is it correct to use some present tenses in it?

24 December 2011.

Today is Christmas Eve. I went to Disyneyland with my friends. The place is wonderful. We took a lot of pictures with Mickey Mouse.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, queeniech. :hi:

If it's a personal diary, you can use whatever forms you wish.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, queeniech.:hi:

It's just fine as it is. In any case, you can write whatever you want in your diary. Only you will see it, right?

Rover:)

queeniech

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thank you, Mr 5jj and Rover_KE.

If a teacher asks the students to use past tenses to write diary as homework. How should we do? Does it make sense to write," Today was Christmas Eve. Disyneyland was a wonderful place.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you, Mr 5jj and Rover_KE.

If a teacher asks the students to use past tenses to write diary as homework. How should we do? Does it make sense to write," Today was Christmas Eve. Disyneyland was a wonderful place.

If you imagine yourself at the end of the day writing your diary, perhaps in bed, it would make perfect sense to write something like "Had a great day today. We went to London and visited the museums."

queeniech

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If you imagine yourself at the end of the day writing your diary, perhaps in bed, it would make perfect sense to write something like "Had a great day today. We went to London and visited the museums."

Thanks bhaisahab,

If a teacher asked the students to write weekly Journals using past tenses, the topic is 'Mother's day', is it correct to write "Today is 'Mother's Day" at the beginning?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks bhaisahab,

If a teacher asked the students to write weekly Journals using past tenses, the topic is 'Mother's day', is it correct to write "Today is 'Mother's Day" at the beginning?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that you have "mothers day" as a topic for a weekly journal?

queeniech

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that you have "mothers day" as a topic for a weekly journal?

Thanks again, bhaisahab.

Exactly.

Is it correct to write as follows?

1.Today is 'Mother's day". My family and I went to Disyneyland......Disyneyland is a wonderful place to go.

2. Can we write "Disyneyland was a wonderful place to go" in the weekly Journal. If we use past tense, would it imply Disyneyland has closed down?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks again, bhaisahab.

Exactly.

Is it correct to write as follows?

1.Today is 'Mother's day". My family and I went to Disneyland......Disyneyland is a wonderful place to go. Yes.

2. Can we write "Disneyland was a wonderful place to go" in the weekly Journal. If we use past tense, would it imply Disneyland has closed down? Yes, that's fine, it means that for you at that time Disneyland was wonderful.

Bhai.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I were writing in the diary at the beginning of the day, I would use "Today is Mother's Day and we are going to Disneyland. I'm really excited!" The present tense refers to the present for Mother's Day and to the future with "we are going" to Disneyland.

If I were writing in the diary at the end of the day, after the trip, I would say "It was Mother's Day today and we went to Disneyland. Disneyland is fantastic!"

I would use the past tense for what today was, where you went but you can still say that Disneyland "is" fantastic because, in your opinion, that's a permanent fact.

queeniech

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If I were writing in the diary at the beginning of the day, I would use "Today is Mother's Day and we are going to Disneyland. I'm really excited!" The present tense refers to the present for Mother's Day and to the future with "we are going" to Disneyland.

Thanks emsr2d2. I fully understand the above.

If I were writing in the diary at the end of the day, after the trip, I would say "It was Mother's Day today and we went to Disneyland. Disneyland is fantastic!"

I fully understand the above.

I would use the past tense for what today was, where you went but you can still say that Disneyland "is" fantastic because, in your opinion, that's a permanent fact.

I fully understand that we can still say that Disneyland "is" fantastic because, in my opinion, that's a permanent fact.
However, I am a little bit confused with the meaning of "I would use the past tense for what today was" . Do you mean we can say "Today was Mother's day" or "It was Mother's Day today"

Many thanks, again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I fully understand that we can still say that Disneyland "is" fantastic because, in my opinion, that's a permanent fact.
However, I am a little bit confused with the meaning of "I would use the past tense for what today was" . Do you mean we can say "Today was Mother's day" or "It was Mother's Day today"

Many thanks, again.

Both of those are fine. The word order is irrelevant (as long as it's grammatically correct), I was simply saying that even if it is still Mother's Day when you write the diary (perhaps you are writing it in the evening), you can use "was".

Status
Not open for further replies.