Tom thought would have been great to go with them to Shiv mandir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The people of the XYZ society left their society with the procession that was being carried out on the ocacasion of Shivaratri. They were with Shivtandav band. One the members of the society named Tom had called this band because according to him it would have been great to with them to the nearest temple of lord Shiva (if we say because Tom thought it would be great to go with them that is why he had called them it would be correct. But would it be correct to say "Tom thought it would have been great to go with them?).

One more question "if we say XYZ it would be correct" is this correct? Or do we need to say "if we say XYZ it wil be correct"?

Please check and correct my sentences and please guied me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
First, what do you mean by "The people of XYZ left their society ..."?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes to the first question and no to the second.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
First, what do you mean by "The people of XYZ left their society ..."?

Okay people of the Galaxy appartments society is it correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay. Is "people of the Galaxy apartments society" [STRIKE]is it[/STRIKE] correct?

Come on Tufguy. You know better than to make those mistakes in formulating a question by now.

Is there an official society called the "People of the Galaxy Apartments Society"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sorry I don't understand.

It is correct to use "Tom thought it would be ...".

Secondly "If we say XYZ would it be correct" is right and "will it be" is not.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Come on Tufguy. You know better than to make those mistakes in formulating a question by now.

Is there an official society called the "People of the Galaxy Apartments Society"?

The organization would be The Galaxy Apartments Society, and the people the owners of the individual apartments. Housing Societies are what we would call Condominium Corporations in AmE. I don't know the BrE equivalent.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Sorry for the mistake. No, it is not official it is just the name of a housing society where people live in their purchased appartments.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm going to step out of this thread because we don't have any sort of housing complex that has "society" in the official or unofficial title. Here, we would just say that the residents of the Galaxy Apartments left [the building] to join a procession.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm going to step out of this thread because we don't have any sort of housing complex that has "society" in the official or unofficial title. Here, we would just say that the residents of the Galaxy Apartments left [the building] to join a procession.

I think your version leaves open the possibility that the residents are tenants. The use of Society makes it clear that they are owners, at least in Indian English. How does BrE refer to flats that are owned outright in fee simple, i.e. a freehold, but not a freestanding building?

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think your version leaves open the possibility that the residents are tenants. The use of Society makes it clear that they are owners, at least in Indian English. How does BrE refer to flats that are owned outright in fee simple, i.e. a freehold, but not a freestanding building?

How does BrE refer to flats that are owned outright in fee simple, i.e. a freehold, but not a freestanding building? I don't understand this could you please explain?

Yes, there can be tenants as well along with the permanent residents.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, you're either an owner or a tenant but a whole building doesn't have to be occupied by the same category of person. For example, I live in a large house which has been converted into eight flats. I own the flat I live in. The man who lives in Flat 7 owns his flat. The other six flats are owned by people who choose not to live there; instead, they rent those flats to other people, so the building contains two owner-occupiers and six tenants. If we all left the building at the same time, I would say that all the residents of the building left at the same time. We are all residents (we "reside" there) regardless of our owner/tenant status.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the UK, you're either an owner or a tenant but a whole building doesn't have to be occupied by the same category of person. For example, I live in a large house which has been converted into eight flats. I own the flat I live in. The man who lives in Flat 7 owns his flat. The other six flats are owned by people who choose not to live there; instead, they rent those flats to other people, so the building contains two owner-occupiers and six tenants. If we all left the building at the same time, I would say that all the residents of the building left at the same time. We are all residents (we "reside" there) regardless of our owner/tenant status.

It is same as India. Yes, a builder group builds a group of flats and it is a society. It is not owned by a single person. Each person has their own flat. Could you please correct my paragraph now?

Status
Not open for further replies.