Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it correct wait for can be followed by a person or none person but await can be done by only none person? See the following example.

We can say "we have no record of anyone telling you to leave your vehicle at the body shop awaiting the inspection"

But, we cannot say "we have no record of anyone telling you to leave your vehicle at the body shop awaiting the appraiser."

However, we can say "we have no record of anyone telling you to leave your vehicle at the body shop waiting for the appraiser or inspection.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Your sentences are unnatural.
"My car is awaiting inspection" means the same as "My car is waiting for inspection". You can use either.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'We have no record showing that someone told you to leave at the body shop your vehicle awaiting inspection.'

Is it acceptable? Not a teacher.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
'We have no record showing that someone told you to leave at the body shop your vehicle awaiting inspection.'

Is it acceptable? Not a teacher.

We(presumably the staff of a car workshop) have no record showing that one of our staff told you to leave your vehicle at the body shop for inspection.

OP's sentence is confusing . The purpose of leaving your car at the workshop to be collected later is to avoid the waiting. Here, you are saying that you leave the vehicle at the workshop and have to wait for the inspection.

not a teacher

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Here, you are saying that you leave the vehicle at the workshop and have to wait for the inspection.
I think 'awaiting' is a participle modifying the noun before it in 'your vehicle awaiting inspection', so the vehicle instead of the listener has to wait.

Not a teacher.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think 'awaiting' is a participle modifying the noun before it in 'your vehicle awaiting inspection', so the vehicle instead of the listener has to wait.

Not a teacher.

OK, when you say you leave your vehicle at a workshop for inspection/repair/service/cleaning etc, it is redundant to say that 'the vehicle is awaiting inspection, etc'. What else if it is not waiting for that?

not a teacher

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
... it is redundant to say that 'the vehicle is awaiting inspection, etc'.
The gist of this thread is about 'awaiting/waiting', so I kept it in my sentence.

Not a teacher.

compiler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I should say the object of await is not a person but wait for can be followed by either a person or none person. Is it correct? The following is an explanation from the BBC.

The first difference is in the grammatical structures that are associated with these two verbs.
The verb 'await' must have an object - for example, 'I am awaiting your answer'. And the object of 'await' is normally inanimate, not a person, and often abstract. So you can't say, 'John was awaiting me'.

Status
Not open for further replies.