Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could anyone please explain what the "price-cutter approach" is in the sentence below:

However, long-time critic Brian Johnson of CLSA excoriated the bank for its “decade-long underperformance”, citing a poor acquisition record, risk failures and a “price-cutter approach” to market share slippage.

eeshu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could I say "a price-cutting approach" instead? If so, what's the difference?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I was going to suggest that "a price-cutting approach" would be preferable here.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

eeshu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:up: I think in this case it may be referring to a particular chain of shops (http://www.pricecutteronline.com/), who use a price-cutting approach.

b

No. As the context of the original sentence suggests, it should not have anything to do with the weblink you referred to. I also agreed with Gillnetter's interpretation of the phrase, but I want to know why you guys would prefer a "price-cutter" approach rather than a "price-cutting" one? Is it because it's more tech-savvy to say so?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. As the context of the original sentence suggests, it should not have anything to do with the weblink you referred to.
Actually, such context as you gave us suggests that Bob's answer is right, especially as there are inverted commas round the word. It should have a capital 'P'; apart from that, the reference to this well-known chain of shops is what I would expect here.

eeshu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Actually, such context as you gave us suggests that Bob's answer is right, especially as there are inverted commas round the word. It should have a capital 'P'; apart from that, the reference to this well-known chain of shops is what I would expect here.

:up:

We wouldn't... :?:

b

The reason why I wouldn't relate this "price-cutter" with the online shop is the online chain's business is confined to a small region in the US, but the sentence I quoted concerns Australia. Is this Price Cutter chain that famous?

eeshu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks, this 'price cutter' might be more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.