Help with the 'in" and "ing' sound please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

panixjason

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone, my name is Jason and I've been living in the U.S. for almost 6 years. I recently have found out I have problems when it comes to pronouncing words that end with "in" or "ing".
Actually, the problem is more with the "in" sound. The "ing" sound just comes out naturally.
For example, words like "pain", "rain", and "drain". Usually people understand what i'm talking about depending on the context. But if I were just to pronounce words that end with "in", the "g" sound automatically comes out, which turns out to be "ing". I can hardly tell the difference.
Please provide me with some suggestions with these pronounciations.
Thank you very much!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I believe that Manadrin has /n/ and /ŋ/ sounds very similar to those in English, so I am not sure why you have this problem.

For /n/, the front part of the tongue rises to the hard ridge on the roof of your mouth behind your front teeth; the tongue is in a very similar position to the one it is in when you pronounce /t/ or /d/.

For /ŋ/, the back of the tongue rises to meet the soft palate at the back of the roof of your mouth; the tongue is in a similar position to the one it is in when you pronounce /k/ or /g/.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
But if I were just to pronounce words that end with "in", the "g" sound automatically comes out, which turns out to be "ing".
Do you pronounce [g] in "sing"? Do you pronounce [g] in "sin"? Are the third sounds of these words different or the same in your speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.