Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, everyone! Do portable electric devices (radio, cell phone, laptop etc) run on battery or off battery? I've come across both forms and just curious which one is right or preferred. Thanks in advance!

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Portable electronic devices (radios, cell phones, laptops, etc.) run on batteries.

:)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Portable electronic devices (radios, cell phones, laptops, etc.) run on batteries.

By the same token, some devices that are usually run off the mains supply can be run off a battery.

Koronas

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Greece
In the context of batteries, you can say "run on", "run off" or "run from". The meaning is clear so it's down to personal preference and, probably, local dialect variations.

In the context of mains electricity you can say "run off the mains" or "run on/off mains power" or "run from the mains".

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not 100% certain, but there might be a difference between AmE ("run on betteries") and either BrE or AuE ("run off betteries").

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To me, run off a battery could suggest that the device is connected to an external battery.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
To me, run off a battery could suggest that the device is connected to an external battery.
Yes, that's what it means to me too. That's what I intended it to mean when I mentioned it. A device runs on batteries, but if you have the right connection, you can also run it off a car battery.
It doesn't run 'off' batteries, and you (generally) don't run it 'on' a car battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.