Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Is it okay to say "My toes feel numb"?
Toes don't have brains. So, does it sound okay for you English native users?
Any other way to say?
Thanks a lot.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd say 'I can't feel my toes'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd say "My toes are numb" or "My toes have gone numb". I wouldn't use "feel" in this instance. Rover's "I can't feel my toes" is another great alternative - note that it does not mean that if you put your fingers on your toes, you cannot feel your toes with your fingers! It means "The feeling in my toes has gone/vanished" or "I have no feeling/sensation in my toes".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In medical usage, "numb" is sensory only. If you can feel your toe, but not move it, it isn't numb, it's paralysed. In fact, I've only heard 'numb' used this way by lay people too. Maybe somewhere in the world they use 'numb' to mean immobile body parts.
To me, there's nothing wrong with "My toes feel numb". We can also say "This towel feels wet", but towels don't have a brain either.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would never use "numb" to mean that I can't move the relevant part of the anatomy.

terrenziqq

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In medical usage, "numb" is sensory only. If you can feel your toe, but not move it, it isn't numb, it's paralysed. In fact, I've only heard 'numb' used this way by lay people too. Maybe somewhere in the world they use 'numb' to mean immobile body parts.
To me, there's nothing wrong with "My toes feel numb". We can also say "This towel feels wet", but towels don't have a brain either.
Maybe I chose the wrong word. Indeed, I wanted to use the sentence not in such a miserable condition. What would you say if you can control well your fingers and toes in winter but you cannot feel the tips of them gradually due to the chilliness?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe I chose the wrong word. Indeed, I wanted to use the sentence not in such a miserable condition. What would you say if you can control well your fingers and toes in winter but you cannot feel the tips of them gradually due to the chilliness?

There is nothing wrong with "my toes feel numb".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

If it only affects the tips of them and if they go very white at the parts you can't feel, then a) you might have Raynaud's Syndrome and b) you can say "the tips of my fingers and toes go dead in very cold weather".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.