Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#48148]In Korea, renting a home appliance is very rare. I don't have such experience either, so I should explain my experience with a machine. I visited Hawaii during a vacation, I rented a small studio to stay in. It had a microwave oven combined with a hood. It was the first time for me to use it and I tried to cook some pan steak in the kitchen.[/FONT]

Are the underlined correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[FONT=&#48148]It was the first time for me to use it, and I tried to cook some pan steak in the kitchen.[/FONT]

If memory serves, you did in fact do some cooking, so "tried" doesn't work there. (I'm not sure what the second "it" refers to.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Korea, renting a home appliance is very rare.

Compared to?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You didn't really rent a microwave. You rented a studio that happened to have a microwave.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's a lot of redundancy in your writing. Effectively, in this piece, all you're saying is "I rented a small studio in Hawaii. It had a microwave oven and hood. I'd never used one before but I had a go at making pan steak".

Look how few words I needed to express the same thing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, I think you mean a studio apartment. Two, I have never heard of a microwave with a hood before.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
There's a lot of redundancy in your writing. Effectively, in this piece, all you're saying is "I rented a small studio in Hawaii. It had a microwave oven and hood. I'd never used one before but I had a go at making pan steak".

Look how few words I needed to express the same thing.

The first underlined means that I had some problem when using a home appliance. Is it correct?
This is said if I'm asked to answer a question "Do you have any experience of renting a home appliance"? As I don't have such experience, I'm saying a similar experience. The rest is changed according to your advice.

In Korea, renting a home appliance is very rare. I don't have such experience either, so I should explain my experience with a problem when I used a home appliance.
I visited Hawaii during a vacation,
I rented a small studio apartment to stay in. It had a microwave combined with a hood.
I'd never used one before but I had a go at making pan steak in the kitchen.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As has already been pointed out, you didn't rent a home appliance. You rented a studio apartment. Forget about the first two sentences. Perhaps:

I want to describe my experience of using an appliance I wasn't used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.