Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I sometime see people using toward with an "s" but sometime they use it without one. Why is that? Isn't it supposed to be a preposition?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I sometime see people using toward with an "s" but sometime they use it without one. Why is that? Isn't it supposed to be a preposition?

It is my belief that (and this has been borne out by a couple of quick Google searches) that "towards" is favoured in BrE, and "toward" in AmE.

vkhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
It is my belief that (and this has been borne out by a couple of quick Google searches) that "towards" is favoured in BrE, and "toward" in AmE.

0.o really? My teacher said I could use both BrE and AmE in my essays and yet every time I turn them in, she would add an additional "s" to the words "toward" I used.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They are both fine, but don't switch from one to the other. We favour the 'towards' version in BrE.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
0.o really? My teacher said I could use both BrE and AmE in my essays and yet every time I turn them in, she would add an additional "s" to the words "toward" I used.

Even though she's told you that you can use either BrE or AmE in your essays, it may be that she (for some reason) believes that "towards" is the only acceptable version. Is it possible that the rest of your essay sticks to BrE but then you suddenly throw in an AmE spelling? Most teachers will tell their students that they can use either BrE or AmE but encourage them to stick to one or the other throughout any one essay. A mix of the two can get very confusing.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
emsr2d2 is right. However, as both versions appear in the Concise Oxford, and in many other dictionaries, I feel that both should be accepted in BrE.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bear in mind, though, that should you have occasion to use the word "untoward" meaning "inappropriate/unexpected", then there is no "s" on the end in either BrE or AmE.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Bear in mind, though, that should you have occasion to use the word "untoward" meaning "inappropriate/unexpected", then there is no "s" on the end in either BrE or AmE.
Emsr2d2, why "on the end" and not "at the end"? It's completely new to me.

I've just googled this. It's "at the end" in the title, but then they say, "Add "s" on the end of a verb in present tense to agree with the singular "he," "she," or "it" subject ."

Are these two completely interchangable in this situation?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Emsr2d2, why "on the end" and not "at the end"? It's completely new to me.

I've just googled this. It's "at the end" in the title, but then they say, "Add "s" on the end of a verb in present tense to agree with the singular "he," "she," or "it" subject ."

Are these two completely interchangable in this situation?

I guess I was thinking of it being the verb "to add on" (even though that's not what I actually said!). You add a letter on(to) the end of a word, but there is a letter at or on the end of a word.

So - if you use the word "untoward", don't add an "s" on the end of the word.

I hadn't really thought about it!!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've been thinking about this on and off for the last hour. After trying out dozens of sentences, I am no longer sure what I say, but I think I might say:There's a silent b at the end of 'lamb'. I think 'on' is acceptable.
Stick an extra t on to the end of 'set' if you are writing about a badger's home. I think I'd accept 'at', or just 'on'.
If you use the word "untoward", don't add an "s" at the end of the word. I'd accept 'to' and 'on to', but not just 'on'.

I know, I know. There is no logic there - and I might give a different response tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.