Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I writing a paper and I'm very confused with being vs been. What is the rule? Can someone help?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've just answered that. You use the word which is grammatically correct. What is your sentence? And what is your choice on the basis of what I told you in your other thread?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you are referring to your title (none of which you repeated in your actual post), then only "That being said ..." is correct. Many people incorrectly think the phrase is "That been said ...", mainly because when the phrase is said quickly by native speakers, "being" can be misheard as "been". Many of us don't pronounce the word "being" in full in that phrase.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You might also see, "That having been said,..." But you need to understand the above version before tackling that one.

pandadynamic

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thanks for helping explain this

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks for helping to explain this.
Please use standard English at all times.

There is no need to write a new post just to say "Thank you". It makes us think there is new information or a follow-up question and we spend time opening the thread. Simply click on the "Thank" button at the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful. It saves everybody's time, especially when your lazy ungrammatical sentence puts somebody to the trouble of correcting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.