Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Miranda's mother has just have a Jacuzzi installed.She is now having a conversation with her daughter Miranda.

Mother:I was a bit concerned because the plumber that installed it was a woman.
Daughter:So?
Mother:I know they can plumb just as well, but it's not right.A woman knowing the ins and outs of a loo!

So why does only a woman know the ins and outs of a loo?And what does "the ins and outs of a loo "mean here?Any help will be much appreciated.

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
I am not an English teacher, but I think you might have misunderstood the text. It sounds like the mother doesn't think that women should know the ins and outs of a loo.

"knowing the ins and outs of..." means knowing how it works. In this case Miranda's mother didn't think that it was right for a woman to know how toilets work.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am not an English teacher, but I think you might have misunderstood the text. It sounds like the mother doesn't think that women should know the ins and outs of a loo.

"knowing the ins and outs of..." means knowing how it works. In this case Miranda's mother didn't think that it was right for a woman to know how toilets work.
That's very strange, since it's well-known that cleaning the toilet is a woman's job!
<runs away very fast> :)

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
That's very strange, since it's well-known that cleaning the toilet is a woman's job!

For your sake I hope you run really fast.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

:snipersm::snipersm: You can't run fast enough, dude, after a remark like that! ;-)

Anyway, in response to the original question, first I must point out that "loo" in reference to the bathroom or toilet is strictly BrE. Secondly, I must reluctantly agree that for the most part plumbers have always been overwhelmingly male. And thus the act of snaking a drain or knowing how to replace a spud gasket is traditionally very unfeminine. The Golden Girls once tackled this very issue.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The Golden Girls once tackled this very issue.
Thanks for that link. It was an eye-opener for me that a sitcom from American TV could actually be funny, even with women in it.

Wait for me, Raymot!

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
hahaha:lol:
By the way ,thank you all.I didn't expect my question could literally start an argument.The amusement I got overwhelms the pleasure of getting to know the answer.Thank you all again!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Peace, Ladies and Gentlemen. I don't really think that way. :oops: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.