Past/present participle

Status
Not open for further replies.

setpyal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello,
I am confused about the use of past and present participle when used to modify a noun.
For example, The girl standing in the doorway is my sister uses the present participle standing. The girl named Ann is my sister uses the past participle named. Can you please explain the rule?

Thank you for your help.

jamiep

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Thailand
The girl is standing in the doorway NOW.

She was given the name "Ann" in the PAST, probably when she was born.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,
I am confused about the use of past and present participle when used to modify a noun.
For example, The girl standing in the doorway is my sister uses the present participle standing. The girl named Ann is my sister uses the past participle named. Can you please explain the rule?

Thank you for your help.

When the present participle (-ing from) is used, the noun it describes is the performer of the activity named by the participle.
The girl standing in the doorway is my sister. “standing” describes the noun ‘my sister’ and she is the performer of the action (stand)
My sister is standing.

On the other hand, when the past participle (-ed, -en form) is used, the noun it describes is acted upon/become receiver of the action named by the participle.
The girl named Ann is my sister. Here my sister is called ‘Ann’ because she is the receiver of the action (name).
My sister has recieved the name 'Ann' given by the family.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
On the other hand, when the past participle (-ed, -en form) is used, the noun it describes is acted upon/become receiver of the action named by the participle.
Not necessarily, as you can see below, but you've given one useful distinction, which might be valid for transitive verbs.
1. "He scraped the drying paint off the wall."
2. "He scraped the dried paint off the wall."

As jamiep says, in 1. the paint is still drying now; in 2. the paint has finished drying in the past.

In both cases, the paint dries by itself (intransitively).

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Although tacitly, we are talking about postposited adjectives, Ray.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

Thank you for your help.

Reduced relative is the term used by most grammars to describe what we have here.

The girl (that is) standing... -- active: the girl is doing the standing
The girl (that is) named... -- passive: the girl received the act of naming

Status
Not open for further replies.