Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear teacher and friends,
I have a question about the pronunciation of food and good.
/fu:d/ vs /gʊd/
Why _ood of food is pronounced u: and _ood of good is pronounced ʊ?

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards
Huong, Tran

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, hagivn. :hi:
Why is the '_ood' of 'food' [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] pronounced /u:/ and the '_ood' of 'good' [STRIKE]is [/STRIKE]pronounced /ʊ/?
That's just the way it is. English spelling has not reflected accurate pronunciation for centuries, I'm afraid.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum, hagivn. :hi:That's just the way it is. English spelling has not reflected accurate pronunciation for centuries, I'm afraid.
:up: ...But it once did (or tried to in an inconsistent way).

b

hagivn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I'm not sure f_ or g_ impact on pronunciation on this case or not? So I must learn by lines, word by word for phonetic?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Good and goof have different pronunciations.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is no system at all. You just have to learn each word as it comes

/u:/ - food, boot, cool, google, moon
/ʊ/ - look, good, wool, foot
/ʌ/ - blood, flood
/əʊ/ - brooch
/ɔ:/ - door
/əʊ'ɒ/ - cooperate

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
... So I must learn ... word by word for phonetic?
;-) 'Afraid so. But the good news is that the job (relating sounds to spellings) gets easier and easier, because the most used 7500 words (what Macmillan dictionaries calls 'the red words') have many more exceptions - proportionally - than the next 7500. For example by far the most common pronunciation of the spelling 'au' is /ɔ:/. Words in the one dictionary I have counted (Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners) have this pronunciation 3 times more frequently than all the many others (either 6, or 7 if you include the 'eau' of 'beauty') put together - the problem for a student is that you'll need words like 'because' and 'aunt' long before you learn words like 'taut', 'haunch' or 'saunter'.

Students who have been learning English for so long that they didn't need to refer to a dictionary for those last three words would have no trouble guessing the pronunciation of - say - 'paucity'.

My Dictionary of Vowels and their Sounds (not yet published, and indeed not fully written yet, but the less time I spend on UsingEnglish the earlier will be its publication date ;-)) will say more... (but don't hold your breath!)

b

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
;-) 'Afraid so. But the good news is that the job (relating sounds to spellings) gets easier and easier, because the most used 7500 words (what Macmillan dictionaries calls 'the red words') have many more exceptions - proportionally - than the next 7500.
Even the 'oo' picture is not quite as black as I painted it.

/u:/ - food, ......../ʊ/ - look......../ʌ/ - blood......../əʊ/ - brooch...../ɔ:/ - door........./əʊ'ɒ/ - cooperate

/u:/ and../ʊ/ are far more common that all the others. This does not help you tell you which of the two a new word is likely to be, but at least you can fairly safely eliminate the others. 'ook' is more likely to be /ʊ/ then /u:/.

../ʌ/ is rare.

'-oor' is usually ./ɔ:/ door for most speakers of BrE

As far as I know, 'brooch' is the only example of ../əʊ/

It is usually clear when the first two letters of a word beginning with 'coo' actually begin with the prefix 'co-'

hagivn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I got it all. Many thanks!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Why _ood of food is pronounced u: and _ood of good is pronounced ʊ?

I'll try to say something about the origin of this difference. My knowledge is limited, so all I can offer is an outline.

The spelling of "food", "good" and "blood" reflects their pronunciation in Middle English, which was /fo:d/, /go:d/ and /blo:d/ respectively. The Great Vowel Shift changed them to /fu:d/, /gu:d/ and /blu:d/. Then splittling started. For some reason, which I don't know, English speakers started to shorten the vowel in some of the "oo" words, but not all. "Food" and "mood" are among those which remained the same; "good", "blood", "flood" are examples of those which changed.

However, the change didn't occur at the same time for all of them. "Blood" and "flood" became /blʊd/ and /flʊd/ earlier than "good" became /gʊd/. Because of that "blood" and "flood" were there when the so-called foot-strut split started.

The foot-strut split was (and still is) about changing /ʊ/ to /ʌ/ in some words. (The history of this split is more complex than that, but it's rather irrelevant here.) For example, "cut", which was pronounuced /kʊt/, became /kʌt/. Again, this didn't occur for all words. "Put", for example, is still /pʊt/. But it did happen to "blood" and "flood" which were, as I said, /blʊd/ and /flʊd/ at that point. The foot-strut split changed them to /blʌd/ and /flʌd/.

But, at the time the foot-strut split was happening, "good" was still /gu:d/, so the split didn't affect it. Later however, "good" underwent the change "blood" and "flood" had undergone earlier, and became /gʊd/, but it was too late for catching the foot-strut train and becoming /gʌd/.

Interestingly, in Northern English and in the Midlands, the foot-strut split never occured (even though it's present in Scotland!), and so "good", "blood" and "flood" have the same vowel /ʊ/ in those accents.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
/u:/ - food, boot, cool, google, moon
/ʊ/ - look, good, wool, foot

@5jj. It's interesting to me that you include "cool" in that group. I think that's what might be considered a Queensland pronunciation here, also school, pool etc. I hear my cool and most of the cools around me in Melbourne as being closer to a slightly longer "wool" sound, likewise in NZ.

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
Well, you are dealing with a vowel digraph < oo >. All vowel digraphs have multiple phonetic realizations. These realizations are not random, but are related. You also need to work out pre-r and pre-l environments separately.

Check this

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Welcome to the forum, hagivn. :hi:That's just the way it is. English spelling has not reflected accurate pronunciation for centuries, I'm afraid.

I couldn't agree with you more.

For instance

Keyboard ˈkiː bɔːd
Cupboard ˈkʌb əd

Status
Not open for further replies.