[General] Can you please check if this sentence is correct or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eureka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi! teachers

Can you check if the sentence below is correct or not?

Ex) The apple rolled down the hill and fell down the cliff.

I know it would be better to put 'off' instead of 'down' in 'fell down the cliff'. I made the sentence in order to explain two concepts of the preposition 'down': the first one is based on non-vertical axis, while the second one is close to vertical axis.

To native speakers, does the sentence sound awkward? or Is it gramatically correct even though it isn't commonly used?

Thank you very much in advance

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi! teachers

Can you check if the sentence below is correct or not?

Ex) The apple rolled down the hill and fell down the cliff.

I know it would be better to put 'off' instead of 'down' in 'fell down the cliff'. I made the sentence in order to explain two concepts of the preposition 'down': the first one is based on non-vertical axis, while the second one is close to vertical axis.

To native speakers, does the sentence sound awkward? or Is it gramatically correct even though it isn't commonly used?

Thank you very much in advance

I would say, "The apple rolled down the hill and fell (OR "went") over the cliff."

Eureka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for your reply.

Do you think the sentence I wrote can be acceptable in describing such a situation?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your reply.

Do you think the sentence I wrote can be acceptable in describing such a situation?

Well, in AmE we would typically say "fell over" when referring to a cliff.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'd say 'fell over/off a cliff"

What has sparked this renewed interest? It's some five months since we last had a look at the vertical axis in: Can you make a sentence with the preposition down based on the absolute vertical axis
That thread is now closed and there is no definite answer in it to the question asked.

In my opinion, "fall down the cliff" is a correct English phrase. As others have said in both threads, "down" is not what you'd expect to hear, but I don't think there's a reason to say it's wrong.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In my opinion, "fall down the cliff" is a correct English phrase. As others have said in both threads, "down" is not what you'd expect to hear, but I don't think there's a reason to say it's wrong.
If the person falling fell vertically, which seems to be the OP's focus of interest, then I do not think 'fell down' is nearly as likely as 'fell off/over' To me, 'falling down' a cliff is rather less rapid, and may involve several points of contact on the away. It may not even result in the person falling reaching the bottom.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I agree, although I believe it could also be used, regardless of speed and number of points of contact, for a continuous event.

While falling down the cliff, I was thinking how great Calais had been for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.