Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

A woman says "After my husband died, I still run the business like the woman behind the man"

What does she mean by "the woman behind the man"?

Thanks a lot.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It sounds rather strange - there's no 'like' about it. There's a much-used saying, that uses various pairs of adjectives: 'Behind every <adj> man there's an <adj> woman'. Example adjectives: 'successful/over-worked', 'contented/frustrated', 'forgetful/well-organised'... Often the second adjective is an adjectival phrase - like 'with an <appropriate-noun>'.

I think what the woman you quote is saying is 'His success depended largely on me when he was alive, now he's dead I'm just carrying on as before'. But it's an odd way of saying it.

b

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear all,

A woman says "After my husband died, I still run the business like the woman behind the man"

What does she mean by "the woman behind the man"?

Thanks a lot.

I assume she means that when her husband was alive, he was at the front of the business and she worked in a less visible capacity, in the background. After he died, you would expect her to become more visible, more involved, but it appears that she has continued in her old role as if her husband is still there at the front, and she is behind.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I assume she means that when her husband was alive, he was at the front of the business and she worked in a less visible capacity, in the background. After he died, you would expect her to become more visible, more involved, but it appears that she has continued in her old role as if her husband is still there at the front, and she is behind.

YES!!! I got it. Thanks a lot. That's what she means yes. It makes sense.
That's why she made renovations to feel reborn as she said later. :up::up::up:

Thanks my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.