has been being

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_gary

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Is there any sentence with this (has been being) combination in the world?

I don't think so.

Please help me.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
[SIZE=-1]In fact it is a recognised use:

This building [has been] [being constructed ]for four months and has still not been completed

My five year old kitten[has been][being treated]for an eye infection.

It is the Present Perfect Progressive - [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Present form of 'have' + been + being + past participle[/SIZE]

savedhamlet554

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
he's been being nice all morning

user_gary

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you Anglika and Hamlet.

This building has been being constructed for four months and has still not been completed

My five year old kitten has been being treated for an eye infection.

But these sentences does not make any sense to me. Could you explain what they mean?

Trisia

Member Type
Student or Learner
[I'm just a student]

That's because they're weird. And you wouldn't hear them in everyday usage. Actually, I would never ever want to hear them :p

This building has been under construction for four months...
My five-year-old kitten has been undergoing treatment for an eye infection.

That's better (unless I've made a mistake somewhere)

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
[I'm just a student]

That's because they're weird. And you wouldn't hear them in everyday usage. Actually, I would never ever want to hear them :p

This building has been under construction for four months...
My five-year-old kitten has been undergoing treatment for an eye infection.

That's better (unless I've made a mistake somewhere)
I agree with you.

JLP

Member Type
Other
[Not a teacher]

I agree with Trisia about the "building" example; I would prefer, "This building has been under construction..." as well.

But the "kitten" example seems just fine to me, and I would probably use it more often than not, and I would most likely use it much more often than the version containing "undergoing treatment for an eye infection."

The phrase also seems to be quite common colloquially, as in:

"I'm having trouble with the machine again."
"Yeah, I'm not surprised. That machine has been being difficult the whole morning."

kosaniec

Member Type
Other
Thank you Anglika and Hamlet.

This building has been being constructed for four months and has still not been completed

My five year old kitten has been being treated for an eye infection.

But these sentences does not make any sense to me. Could you explain what they mean?

They make perfect sense! Lets use the example: My room has been painted and My room has been being painted.
In both sentences you can add since or for as it is Present Perfect and Present Perfect Continuous (also known as Progressive).
The first sentence means that your room has been painted- you started in the past and you have just finished. It is done. You are not going to paint anymore as the room looks lovely ;-) . Done deal, ;-) when the second sentence has a slightly different meaning. You started painting in the past (since yesterday, Monday, July or for two days, 3 months etc.) and you have been painting up till now when you say this sentence but you havent finished painting meaning you might continue painting tomorrow because it has not been done yet. In both cases you pay attention on the duration. It is very rare to use the Present Perfect Continuous Passive form but it is correct. I hope you understand what I meant.

Got it all?
So use a propa grama now, innit! :)

Last edited:

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
You do realise that this thread was started almost 2.5 years ago, and that the last post was over a year ago?

Look at the dates please, and no 'thread necromancy'!

:)

kosaniec

Member Type
Other
You do realise that this thread was started almost 2.5 years ago, and that the last post was over a year ago?

Look at the dates please, and no 'thread necromancy'!

Of course I did, love! Honey, the problem hasnt been solved for 2,5 years as you pointed out so I thought it would be nice to give an explanation. When you type the has been being in google, this website would come out as first without a correct answer, love. Why didnt you solve this problem than and have been waiting 2,5 years, honey? People were confused! No thread necromancy please.
For some reason I cant use periods commas and other forms of punctuation...

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
no 'thread necromancy'!

I conjure and command you the old thread spirit. There are still people out there who have just started to learn English.Come and update the threads for them. :cool:

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Despite theoretical feasibility, the structure *[HAVE been being] - whether as an independent active or as part of a passive construction - is not considered acceptable, even for formal use, by the majority of speakers.

To all intents and purposes it can be regarded as non-existent!

Status
Not open for further replies.